New member with Record/Coronet issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gweloboy

Reaction score
Hello
New member here. Rhodesian in the US.
I have a Record Drillmaster which has been quite good when used in combination with a South Bend 9" lathe!

I made a purchase this weekend and need some help. There is a Record CLC 1 headstock and a toolpost marked CLB/22A.
The headstock is made to have the bedway tubes fit inside the casting. There is also a tripod apparatus. It came with a box of faceplates, toolrests and a Nova chuck. I cannot find any info online.

I thought it was a bowl-turning system but now I am wondering if I was taken for a ride! I paid $200 for the lot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

lifted from the internet, dos this help?

Introduced during the 1970s by the Record Tool Company in Sheffield, the new range of twin-bar bed wood lathes was, at first, designated as the Coronet Models 1, 2 and 3 and later (when the Coronet name was dropped) as the Record CL1, CL2 and CL3. The first of many well-priced and highly effective wood-turning lathes, all were of very similar contraction, exceptionally well built and used only proper materials in their construction with all the main castings in cast iron and solid steels bars for the bed. Top of the range, the No. 3 had chrome-plated bed bars and was more capable in terms of capacity and work rate than the two smaller models. The 0.5 h.p. 1-phase, flange-mounted motor drove into the headstock by a smooth-running Poly-V belt and the whole assembly could be turned through 90 degrees to allow the installation of a bowl-turning rest - the latter being supplied complete with a replacement headstock-end bed foot and a T-rest that allowed the turning of large-diameter workpieces. However, the two lesser models were also very capable (and reliable) and today make an excellent second-hand purchase.

IIRC the Record Drillmaster was also known as the DML24 - perhaps DML stands for Drill Master Lathe.
Again, from distant memory, CLB sounds right for a banjo although CL3/B is the bowl turning attachment for the CL3 & CL4 lathes made from cast iron section.
I don't recall anything tripod like from Record other than their roller stands but they were 2 legged square section with cross members for stability.
Pictures would help with some method of judging their size. :)

Here is a picture. I added another view of the toolpost.

Attachments

• lathe4.jpg
    lathe4.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 1,170
Another question.

Would the CLC1 be 'man enough' to turn 12 diameter wood?

I feel a bit of a fool buying this but I will make it work with a wood stand.

Foolishness quotient - Too embarrassed to tell my wife!

RecordPower came through with the answer!

The Pyramid and frame are a freestanding toolrest - a 'rare' item by their own admission. I do not know how practical it will be, and neither do they, which probably explains its rarity.

I would appreciate any input as to the largest diameter the headstock will turn safely.

Probably depends largely on what the headstock is mounted to and how heavy and stable that is.

If that is up to the job then the other aspect is the motor power, and not only whether it will spin the wood, but how much it slows down when you take any significant cuts.

I had a DML24 as a starter lathe years ago, and then a CL3 for several years after that and they were both quite decent. The motor on this one, if it is 0.5hp, may be too small to cope with the size work you are contemplating, but then it might be okay if your 12" workpiece is say an inch thick and already dry, where it would almost certainly struggle with a 12" green piece five inches thick.

No harm in giving it a go I guess now you have it ? If you hadn't already got it I would probably have suggested looking for something different, but that doesn't mean it won't work at all. :)

Back