Record 44 vs Record 50

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkDennehy

Established Member
Reaction score
So for a surprise present I'm looking to make, I'll need to cut some grooves in hardwood and while I have a record 43 for the drawer bottom in the thing, it wouldn't be quite up to this so I was looking at either a Record 44 or 50 (or the C models).
But I was wondering - is there a point in getting the 44 instead of the 50, or does the 50 do everything the 44 can do and more? Is there anything the 44 can do that the 50 can't?

If you were going to do a LOT of grooving, I'd get the #044; the balance and handling is better.

But the #050 is much more versatile, so that would be the default choice IME.

BugBear

I have both of these planes and I prefer the 44, in theory the 50 is more versatile but I've never had much luck beading with it. Given the choice I would go for my wooden plough anytime.

Matt

Nother vote for the 044. Id o have the older model though and don't know how good or bad the C model is.

My 044 was easier to set up then the Stanley #50. The adjuster was a lot easier to use. And it cuts quite a bit deeper.

Hello,

Both are good, but I prefer the 050. I think my Record 050 cost 24 pounds with a full set of cutters, most unused and the narrow cutters and adapter. The price of these tools is inconsequential, so might as well go for the more elaborate one, in my opinion. They are not exactly difficult to set up, so the slightly simpler 044 makes such little difference in the longrun. However, I think that if you have biggish hands, the back end of the cutter on the 044 is a finger scratcher. The 050 has better screw feed adjuster. More importantly, if you ever use the plane for cross grain housings, wider than the fence rods will allow, then the 050 will work against a clamped on batten, but the 044 will not. Add to that the option of beading and the 050 wins for me.

Mike.

I've never used a 50 but if you're looking for a 44 don't make the mistake I did of getting a Marples version assuming they're the same. It doesn't have screw adjustment on the cutter - the first metal plane I've used where tapping with a hammer is the best way to get the depth of cut right! Having said that, it works fine once you get it set right - but these planes are fiddly enough without that extra factor. Mind you it was barely more than a tenner and came complete and in good nick so I'm not really complaining.

ajmacleod":3gfkz94z said:
I've never used a 50 but if you're looking for a 44 don't make the mistake I did of getting a Marples version assuming they're the same. It doesn't have screw adjustment on the cutter - the first metal plane I've used where tapping with a hammer is the best way to get the depth of cut right! Having said that, it works fine once you get it set right - but these planes are fiddly enough without that extra factor. Mind you it was barely more than a tenner and came complete and in good nick so I'm not really complaining.

You've reminded me ; some of the early Record models were lacking the lateral blade clamping screw. This prevents the depth adjuster screw's tendency to shift the blade sideways.

BugBear

Back