Wood slices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurs22

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct place to post........??

I'm looking for some advice on wood slices I have bought to use as centre pieces for my wedding. They are approx 2-3 inches thickness and approx 12 inches diameter.

At the moment they are sitting in the garage (I have separated them all and sat them on their side with air to both front and back). I'm wondering what to do next? How should they be treated? I want them to look as 'natural' as possible, but preferably with minimal cracks, and maybe a waxed finish or something? Has anyone got any advice on products/techniques etc that I could use?

Many thanks in advance! :lol:

Hi - we used some at our wedding, but left them rough sawn straight from the chainsaw!

LM0005.jpg

Are you sanding them smooth? If so, an oil finish such as a Danish oil would look great, or a wax like Briwax.

Congrats!

If they were dried prior to cutting into rounds you'll be okay on the splitting. It's probably unlikely though. Drying takes time and therefore costs money. So you're doing the best thing storing them like that but because they are so short they will most likely crack. Unless you have the machines, tools and time to waste I'd embrace the 'rustic' look. A tin of Danish oil will go a long way for the price as Matt says. In the end remember, people at the wedding won't care too much. They will most likely be eating drinking and having a good time and not be too worried either way! Relax and enjoy your day! So embrace the cracks and rough edges. Bit like being married really. :wink:

Hmm. If they warp (likely), just put THREE rubber feet on them, so they sit "square".

Much easier than flattening end grain.

BugBear

If / when they crack why not try filling the cracks with metal powders, gold, silver, copper etc mixed with resin to give them a special distinctive look?

I bet your guests will ask where you got them from and possibly a few commissions for you??

If they are very green they probably will split. I wouldn't worry too much, adds to the charm.
However if you're concerned try a coat of oil to slow the drying process. How long away is the wedding?
If you're serving food off them that might affect what oil you choose.

This might not be an option, however if you want to avoid splits you could drill out the center.
Boring-out-columns.jpg

As the wood shrinks the split will normally choose the shortest route as you can see in picture A.

Dan j":1rc12bvy said:
If they are very green they probably will split. I wouldn't worry too much, adds to the charm.
However if you're concerned try a coat of oil to slow the drying process. How long away is the wedding?

This might not be an option, however if you want to avoid splits you could drill out the center.
As the wood shrinks the split will normally choose the shortest route as you can see in picture A.

I think it's possible that if the slices are thin enough, it might be OK. The outside normally dries-and-shrinks quicker (and hence the piece cracks) BECAUSE(*) the outside can dump it's moisture to the atmosphere directly, whereas the centre can't.

Hence the outside shrinks, the centre doesn't -> crack.

But in a thin (enough) slice, all the timber can dump moisture at the same rate.

Anyone have experience of this, one way or the other?

BugBear (thinking aloud)

(*) bad typo edited away

bugbear":1wzbu4gk said:
Dan j":1wzbu4gk said:

I think it's possible that if the slices are thin enough, it might be OK. The outside normally dries-and-shrinks quicker (and hence the piece cracks) before the outside can dump it's moisture to the atmosphere directly, whereas the centre can't.

Hence the outside shrinks, the centre doesn't -> crack.

But in a thin (enough) slice, all the timber can dump moisture at the same rate.

Anyone have experience of this, one way or the other?

BugBear (thinking aloud)
Our slices were about 1.5 cm thick, and didn't split (and still haven't)

If they don't split I'll eat the forum!!

Sorry to be a doom merchant but I would put their splitting in the close to a certainty category so don't worry about it. The flowers will draw the eyes of the guests and the wood will just be an interesting organic form as part of the concept behind the display. With a waney edge, it can't be anything but organic. What you will want to avoid is mound growth which your airing stacking strategy should avoid.

Splits will probably take the slices further towards the natural look you're after so I wouldn't worry about it unless there's a specific reason that you need them to be intact.

Latest posts

Back