These planes any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisCA

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a tongue and groove set for a while. Came across these and they look to be in fine condition, but I dunno if the price is good or not. I might be allowing the plane set to be poached by linking it here but if its on ebay it's a given it will be found by someone:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-wooden- ... SwbYZXXpDO

And does 3/8" refer to the size of the groove?

They do look like a pair that have stayed together ( same maker and owner) and look from the photos as if they have not been neglected.
One wedge has definitely been swapped - the straight across line shows it has been pinched from a dado plane, so might need adjusting or replacing.

The 3/8" would be the thickness of wood it is best for, so expect a 1/8 wide tongue and groove, centred over 3/8".

Got the planes last night, they do seem to be used for 3/8" wide boards and make a 1/8" groove and tongue. I have a little trouble with getting the wedge to hold them. I noticed the planes have a finish on them, not an oil or wax finish but some kinda varnish, makes them slippery. I wonder if this was original or added on, might also be why it's somewhat problematic to get the irons to hold. I personally doubt they where originally varnished since it looks to be totally new and not worn.

The finish looks like old linseed oil in the pictures. There may be some wax as well, added by a collector. You could try some meths on a rag to remove any wax.

You may have to adjust or re-make the swapped out wedge. Some people say that the back of the wedge should be slightly concave so it presses hardest at top and bottom of the iron. Only a very slight concavity, not visible in use.

I'm having a hard time believing it could be wax & oil... I've used oil & wax finish and this is nothing like anything I've achieved with said finishes. Reminds me of polyurethane or acrylic.

I picked up one of my (metal) planes that I've owned for nearly fifty years yesterday -its beech handle has only ever been soaked/coated in linseed (I've not distinguished between raw and boiled for this purpose) since I stripped the original finish when new and if I didn't know better I would swear it had been polyurethaned.

That's the kind of finish I'd like to try and achieve with oil finished but I never achieve it. I have to go shellac or wipe on poly/varnish to get there.

DennisCA":3d1qgzm8 said:
That's the kind of finish I'd like to try and achieve with oil finished but I never achieve it. I have to go shellac or wipe on poly/varnish to get there.
Which woods, how many coats?

Personally I think a pure oil finish is overrated, and it takes far too long anyway. Personally I CBA, a film finish gets you there faster (actually gets you to a better surface faster) and is a better finish for wood in nearly every respect anyway.

AndyT":3d1qgzm8 said:
Dennis - you just need to wait for a hundred years or so!
I'd say there's every chance that those have wax on them. I know if I wax a dull old plane it immediately gets a lovely fine surface gloss, one that you wouldn't get by wiping in a fresh coat of linseed oil.

Back