Clico 922 block plane - one for the collectors?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Clifton / Clico collector, but I know that some people on here are. I'm aware of the recent excitement around the launch of their new, lovely little block plane. But I've just found out that they offered a block plane back in the 1950s.

This picture comes from a publication by the Hardware Trade Journal, which gave guidance to the discerning hardware shop proprietor on the range of tools he ought to stock. It also carried lots of adverts from manufacturers. Here's the Clico advert:

clico_range_zpsjomo5lbe.jpg

The Peraclin screwdrivers look good, but it was the plane that caught my eye. Not one of the many little Stanley block planes. Definitely not one of the cheap little Hobbies planes, fit only for working balsa wood - they wanted their customers to know it was a proper tool.

So where are they now? Is this something every Clifton collector has a selection of, and thought too trivial to mention, or is it as rare as a Spiers mitre plane in the original box? :?

Surely not the same Clico, Andy? If it is, it's probably about as related to the recently demised Clico as the Rubbermaid/Irwin/Record is to the Record of old.

That block plane looks like pressed sheet to me :cry: .

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":3imnardm said:
Surely not the same Clico, Andy? If it is, it's probably about as related to the recently demised Clico as the Rubbermaid/Irwin/Record is to the Record of old.

That block plane looks like pressed sheet to me :cry: .

Cheers, Vann.

Yeah, it looks like the bed is fitted in the two slots seen on the cheeks.

In fairness, it might be THICK pressed sheet, and I will point out that pressed sheet can be worked to such precision that ink jet printer bodies are made that way.

But the thing's probably collectible, regardless!

BugBear

I'm not entirely sure this can be the same Clico? I can ask but fairly certain the guys who started the Clifton range were apprentices in Record marples and they aren't that old! I was under the impression that the planes started after the management buy out of the Clifton and Clico section from Record Marples. They started with shoulder planes and then added the bench planes. Lots of Sheffield brands have connecting history so I'm wondering if this is the case. I'll ask the boys!

Thanks - it would be nice to get some clarity on this. I just checked to see what Grace's Guide has to say about Clico as a company and the only reference is the same ad!

It is possible to buy a 'dormant' company from the register of Companies House, I think. Maybe the original Clico ceased trading some decades ago, but the company name lay dormant on the register for some years before being bought by Alan Reid when he bought out part of Record's business.

You guys probably already know this :oops: ... but I wonder if the 'not a toy' line is a nod to Stanleys 101? I'm pretty sure I read in Garret Hacks plane book that Stanley released the 101 as a toy or kids tool. They apparently had to hastily backtrack on the advertising after it proved to be very popular with adults.

Bm101":1oxz7d5t said:
You guys probably already know this :oops: ... but I wonder if the 'not a toy' line is a nod to Stanleys 101? I'm pretty sure I read in Garret Hacks plane book that Stanley released the 101 as a toy or kids tool. They apparently had to hastily backtrack on the advertising after it proved to be very popular with adults.

Could well be.

I recently read this interesting blog post which has a thorough survey of superficially similar razor blade planes, some of which were around in the 50s, so maybe it was also to set the Clico apart from them.

https://jeffpeachey.com/2011/08/17/razo ... -overview/

Back