OSB3 or ply for internal cladding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memzey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi gang.

Pretty much as per the title really. I am about to start cladding the internal walls of my workshop and wondered which was best for this purpose. I am currently leaning towards OSB as it is denser, which gives better sound insulation, and cheaper but my other main consideration is how well either board can take a screw as that will be key. I'm not too bothered by the strands of OSB showing through the paint as it is a workshop at the end of the day not a boudoir! Any advice will be gladly received.

Thanks in advance!

I would go for the cheaper option and screw into the studs.

Pete

+1 for cheapest cladding. Use French cleats for all the wall hung items and screw the cleats to the studs.
Paint the whole lot white with cheap vinyl silk emulsion for best reflective surface and smoothest so the dust adheres least.

OSB is pretty strong as far as screw holding is concerned, also if you use OSB3, it is quite waterproof.

You just need to avoid screwing very close to an edge, but face screwing is fine

We use quite a lot of it for orangery roof construction and it is a good material. Surprisingly boards can have a bit of tension in them causing them to bind on a saw blade sometimes or make boards to be bit buckled.

Cheers guys. So are we saying that OSB3 is capable of taking screws ok without the need for screwing to the studs or would I need to aim for them still? If so that would put me off a bit to be honest, although the same might be true for ply I suppose? Although I have more experience with ply and I think that does take a screw well.

It does take a screw well, no risk of it pulling out, it would be fine for screwing cabinets to, tool racks, shelving.

Obviously for anything really heavy fix through into studs.

Ive used it quite often for internal stud walls, ie a layer of osb board then plasterboard. Its then much easier for hanging kitchen cabinets etc.

Cheers Robin. I think that's made up my mind. As ever this place is just great for getting advice and support before you do something for the first time. Thanks again all.

I would go for OSB but it does tend to have less dense patches that don't hold screws so well. More of an issue if only using 12mm and if you can safely screw right through into the cavity behind should be fine. Lovely and strong stuff and as said very waterproof. It will drink gallons of paint!

I'm going to use 18mm thickness. I thought as it was waterproof the paint would just stay on the surface of OSB3?

It was some time back seem to remember putting loads of paint on but could have got that wrong. Yes 18mm no problems with screw holding ability.

Back