Football? Stick to rugby.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I went to a France /England rugby match in Parc des Princes in the early '80's - it was three days after a mid week football match. The ferries had only just had their emergency repairs, and when we got to the stadium there were meatwagons everywhere and the whole place was policed by armed marines anticipating trouble. This of course did not happen, it was amusing to see the marines sitting on the walls having a laugh, a beer and and a fag with everyone. They announced a two minute silence for someone at the start of the game - I dropped a box of matches and about fifty people glowered at me. My grandmother watched it on TV expecting to see me and thought the sound had broken down such was the silence.
Why is high level international rugby such a joy, and high level international football in such a mess? Things haven't changed much in 30+ years.

I don't understand how watching pathetic, namby-pamby football players rolling about clutching their leg because they tripped over (on nice soft grass) and got a boo boo can inspire violence?

Mark A":3mxoxtf7 said:
I don't understand how watching pathetic, namby-pamby football players rolling about clutching their leg because they tripped over (on nice soft grass) and got a boo boo can inspire violence?

Depends on what colour kit your namby-pamby player is wearing when he trips and grabs his face to get a penalty don't it!

FOOTBALL!

Rugby =D> =D> =D> .

Football just a boys game, :evil: :evil: :evil: Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Chris.

Guy Martin put it well

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,456
Too true.

I was brought up playing rugby against all the posh schools and although there was a bit of argy bargy on the pitch, we never took it away afer the game and as a spectator in any country, or against any club, the atmosphere has always been great. Now my son plays footie, I see more football and I am still astonished how people can give out such invective and hatred over a game!! Sure, be passionate, sure support your team, but kicking the bejaysus out of each other before, during and/or afterwards is plain madness.

At my brothers on Saturday, one of his friends was the ultimate angry expert, saying the England fans always get blamed because of their reputation and the police and locals just wind them up then dive in once they're fired up and fighting. Didn't seem to hear my question about how they got that reputation in the first place.

And during socceraid CHARITY MATCH last week, the commentator, on seeing a player being marginally incorrectly treated by the ref, said "Yeah, he's quite right to have a go at the ref"

D**kheads - until the refs are respected like they are in every other sport I've seen, I don't think it'll ever change.

phil.p":275uimue said:
Shadwell? The one whose girlfriend was Gravel? :D

"I've got a new holiday shirt, it's got three sleeves!"

Wrong answer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking of the Welsh guy with the long hair who used to sit on the end of his bed and talk - I forget the programme - who had a girlfriend called gravel. When she kissed him it was like a hovercraft going over his face. :D I don't do films, so I'll leave that one for someone else to guess.

I'll clear this up a mo, before it gets further out of hand, you unruly lot.

Original film quote was I.D - one of the better Hooligan films. Shadwell United were the fictional team in that particular film.

Yes, Naked Video was the one you had a guess at Phil, and the line about the shirt was from that. I remember he was going on holiday, his Uncle was driving them with his new company car. "It wasn't until then that we realised he was a Milkman".

I used to love Siadwell Glynne.

"Hello, it's me, Siadwell".

Back to Rugby!

A yob's game played by gentlemen, Football, a gentleman's game played by yobs!!

Anyway, it's nice supporting a team that has a decent chance of winning internationals and, having reached the bottom of the barrel recently, the only way is up for the England team.

Wuffles":qfhda1g8 said:

Original film quote was I.D - one of the better Hooligan films. Shadwell United were the fictional team in that particular film.

Yes, Naked Video was the one you had a guess at Phil, and the line about the shirt was from that. I remember he was going on holiday, his Uncle was driving them with his new company car. "It wasn't until then that we realised he was a Milkman".

Like that film. Have you seen I.d 2 yet ? It's something I'd like to watch.
'John and Trevor, painter and decorater'

Coley

ColeyS1":2d0c9r5u said:
Wuffles":2d0c9r5u said:

Like that film. Have you seen I.d 2 yet ? It's something I'd like to watch.
'John and Trevor, painter and decorater'

Coley

I only noticed that when I was IMDBing this one trying to find out the name of the made-up team. I might try it. Nothing's ever been as good as this one, or The Firm to my mind, the one with Gary Oldman.

The whole football / Rugby thing amazes me. I went to the new Wembley stadium for a corporate event. The sort of thing where you listen to a few guys talking about their new products and then you get a couple of sandwiches and a glass of wine or OJ. I had my OJ and went to walk out of the suite onto the area just outside, overlooking the pitch. Now you need to remember that the site wasn't even officially open and nobody was outside or playing etc. I was stopped by security as I couldn't take a glass onto the terrace. I explained that this wouldn't be the case at Twickenham and he just said "yeah but that's the difference between football and rugby", seemed to sum it up for me. The first international game I ever went to was Scotland vs England in a 5 nations game at Twickenham. I was sat next to a Scottish supporter who was in kilt etc and welly boots. From inside of his welly boot he pulled out what was, and still remains to this day, the longest hip flask I have ever seen. I'm sure it was about 18" long! He proceeded to offer me some and that was how we continued for the whole game. No need to separate fans when they know how to behave with each other. A bit of fun and banter but an overwhelming respect for each other and the game. I will always applaud an opposition teams try etc and I see opposing teams fans doing the same.

I really do love Rugby and I do think it's largely down to the fans. If going to rugby was like going to football then I'd never go, but that's ok because I know all the other rugby fans are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodmatt":7l3sts9e said:
Football,90mins of players pretending they're hurt,Rugby 80 mins of pretending they're not

Well said. Certainly rugby over football with a liberal sprinkling of cricket. My youngest likes both football and rugby and I certainly don't worry when his uncle talkes him to watch Bristol and Bath but I don't think I would let him go to a football match.
I think that football is a very tribal supporter sport which is where its problem is, whereas both rugby and cricket are watched by people who have a lot more respect for the sport and each other..............dom

Rugby. A bunch of mostly overweight Neanderthals chasing a lozenge they call a ball, and wondering why it bounces where it pleases; and who don't understand that you can't really be 'offside' in your own half of the pitch. They don't fumble, they 'knock-on', and do they really HAVE to make a big show of diving in the mud to touch down? Especially when there's no one near them! And the the guy who really turns me off Rugby? Matt (Bad loser) Dawson!

Doesn't make any more sense to me than does Soccer, but if I HAD to make a choice, it wouldn't be Rugby.!

Back