Any good with generators?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday i got a little clarke generator with a knackered pull start. Fixed the pull start but still having issues and wondered if any knows them?

It just wont start. Doesn't even seem like it wants to though it sputtered twice.

What I've tried so far.
Fresh fuel.
Drained some oil as it was way over filled.
Checked drain tap on carb bowl, fuel present.
Removed carb to check for obvious blockage.
Spark plug looks ok but no way of testing for spark.
Tried carb cleaner direct into air inlet.
Checked "on" switch.

I don't know how to test the ignition things on these.

Any suggestions before i smash it to pieces in a rage?

A bit of a long shot, is it standing on a level surface? I had a small genny and had similar starting and running problems and later found out that there was a oil and switch inside that would stop the engine if it wasn't standing level.

How did you "check" the on switch? visual check is not good enough, you need a multi tester to prove the circuit through the switch.
If you have a spare pair of hands, you can test the plug. Hold it carefully with a pair of pliers (dont break the insulation, a heavy cloth will help protect it) and hold it firmly to the metal head away from the plug hole. With someone pulling the cord you should be able to see the spark.

My first effort would be to hold the plug over a gas flame for a few minutes (again, pliers) as when a plug gets flooded it holds the fuel inside the tube, shorting out the spark. You will almost certainly see a spurt of flame from the plug. after the 2 minutes, either wait for it to cool or use heat proof gloves to refit it.

Test for spark:

Remove the spark plug and earth it against the generator body (lead attached). If you crank the engine you should see a small blue spark jump between the electrodes - easier in shade/garage, not bright sunlight.

Use insulated pliers to hold the spark plug to ensure the route to earth is through the generator, not you

Terry

Since the engine was overfilled with oil I would immediately suspect the low oil level switch that cuts the engine out by grounding the coil to earth the same as the normal cut off. you need to find the wire from this switch and disconnect it from the circuit then try the engine again if it runs you need to either replace the switch or make sure it always has enough oil and never leave it running unattended for long periods. Never use any easy start until you have confirmed the existence of a spark without which it is never going to run. Oh and also be aware a plug can spark in the open air but not do so when in the engine due to combustion pressure in the cylinder, if the plug looks at all suspect replace it with a new one of the correct type.

Wuffles":2cjjfu3s said:
Is carb cleaner the same as Easy Start?
I think most things flammable will work as long as they are not too greasy/sticky etc.

Chrispy":2cjjfu3s said:
A bit of a long shot, is it standing on a level surface? I had a small genny and had similar starting and running problems and later found out that there was a oil and switch inside that would stop the engine if it wasn't standing level.

It was on a flat surface however I must admit I had not even considered that. One to remember. :D

sunnybob":2cjjfu3s said:
How did you "check" the on switch? visual check is not good enough, you need a multi tester to prove the circuit through the switch.
If you have a spare pair of hands, you can test the plug. Hold it carefully with a pair of pliers (dont break the insulation, a heavy cloth will help protect it) and hold it firmly to the metal head away from the plug hole. With someone pulling the cord you should be able to see the spark.

My first effort would be to hold the plug over a gas flame for a few minutes (again, pliers) as when a plug gets flooded it holds the fuel inside the tube, shorting out the spark. You will almost certainly see a spurt of flame from the plug. after the 2 minutes, either wait for it to cool or use heat proof gloves to refit it.
Terry - Somerset":2cjjfu3s said:
Test for spark:

Remove the spark plug and earth it against the generator body (lead attached). If you crank the engine you should see a small blue spark jump between the electrodes - easier in shade/garage, not bright sunlight.

Use insulated pliers to hold the spark plug to ensure the route to earth is through the generator, not you

Terry

The switch was tested by shorting it out (didn't have my meter with me).
Unfortunately I was on my own. Within the plastic casing there is a second plastic casing close to the engine body. Theres not much metal to ground it to so I couldn't keep it still enough whilst giving it a pull. I'll check again another time.

cedarwood":2cjjfu3s said:
Since the engine was overfilled with oil I would immediately suspect the low oil level switch that cuts the engine out by grounding the coil to earth the same as the normal cut off. you need to find the wire from this switch and disconnect it from the circuit then try the engine again if it runs you need to either replace the switch or make sure it always has enough oil and never leave it running unattended for long periods. Never use any easy start until you have confirmed the existence of a spark without which it is never going to run. Oh and also be aware a plug can spark in the open air but not do so when in the engine due to combustion pressure in the cylinder, if the plug looks at all suspect replace it with a new one of the correct type.
There is one to look for, cheers. Not sure if it has a low oil level switch but I'll have a good look next time.
I would normally check for spark first but as said above i wasn't able to.
The spark pug looks in very good condition. I don't think the generator has seen all that much use.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Next up is check for spark and oil switch.

I'm hoping its just the carb bunged up as its been stood a while. When I get the chance ill strip it down and clean properly.

Back