Fire lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking into fire lighting tools, does anyone have any recommendations for versitile fire lighters for the outdoors?

A couple of boy scouts ? :)

Turboflame type lighters are very effective, or ferrocium rods and strikers if you have or are able to prepare suitable tinder to use them with, likewise traditional flint and steel, bow drill if you like to test your self and your patience !

A bit more context would help with suggestions ?

Cheers, Paul

The the easiest way is to learn to build the fire correctly (sorry glib). The better the build the easier to light and the simple the lighter. The further from the ideal build you go the more energy you will need to add to get it burning.
- Dry tinder, kindling and slowly larger wood and all you need is a spark.
- Random pieces of wet pallet and a stump on top and the answer is a can of petrol and a flare gun.

Personally I split a bunch of 5mm tinder sticks, stack them like jenga sticks, light them with a kitchen blowtorch and progressivly feed larger sticks in as it gets going. But then when I go camping it's more glamping than real camping ;)

F.

Having only wood burning fires in our French place, Rayburn, Jotul and a Godin its a necessity in winter rather than something I do for a pleasant fire to sit around, hence the Gas Poker which to all intents and purposes could be a kitchen blow torch. LOL

Mike

I do a lot of volunteering for organisations such as the RSPB and the like. This often requires bonfires to burn away the choppings left over from clearance, most often Rhodadren and Gorse.

I am quite familar with how to light a fire, however have found matches and those disposable lighters both inefficient and enivromentally un-sound. Would like a more long lasting and effective alturnative.

Like the look of the Swedish steels, how long do they last?

They last for years, several thousand strikes depending on size. You would need to start with suitable tinder though and build up the fire with dry material before adding the green material. If you don't like or get on with matches or lighters though these are not necessarily easier.

Those lighters I linked to aren't like cheap bics, they produce a very strong and hot, wind resistant flame, and are very effective, again with suitable tinder and materials.

I think for the more pragmatic types doing that sort of task that paraffin may be the weapon of choice, but I suspect it has safety as well as environmental concerns and wouldn't recommend it !

I use Wilko fire lighters to get our woodburner going and at £0.50 for 14 they are as cheap as chips. Two firelighters and a bit of kindling and away she goes, works every time.

Regards Keith

Sheffield Tony":1zfdya0p said:
I am baffled as to why a woodworker would need to use firelighters ?

For the same reason they use power tools?

Mike

I presume you have ready access to sawdust and shavings? :-D You can use them as the basis of homemade firestarter blocks of whatever size you like, made from wood flakes bound in candle wax. These will readily light from any bit of flame. So your portable firestarting kit would consist of a firesteel, some spark-lightable tinder (small roll of charcloth made from half an old tea towel would be ideal) and a few of the firestarters.

These firestarters have a great advantage outdoors as they're naturally water resistant, and with charcloth you usually store it in the tin you baked it in,. So your entire kit is pretty much waterproof.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I think I might give the Swedish steel with a accompanying tinderbox a go; I like how there is no chemicals involved with these.

Birch bark and char cloth are a couple of good natural things to start with, lots of others too of course, but I always have some vaseline smeared cotton wool balls and some Magic Biscuits in reserve as fail safes :)

The Magic Biscuits are just cotton wool pads dipped in molten wax (ends of old tea lights or similar), and allowed to dry. They aren't affected by wet or damp due to the wax, and you just tear them a bit to expose the cotton wool fibres and they will take a spark very easily and burn well for a decent time.

The cotton wool balls with vaseline won't satisfy the natural approach preference but are very effective indeed, burn for a surprisingly long time too and catch very easily from a spark if kept in a waterproof tin or similar.

Great fun experimenting anyway, whichever way ends up suiting or pleasing you most :)

Cheers, Paul

I used to dip matches into candle wax which not only kept them waterproof but helped then stay alight. They fitted nicely into old 35mm film screw top cans.

Rod

Harbo":3cg95gwt said:
35mm film screw top cans.
Ah, I miss those! Even the plastic ones have become hen's teeth. When I think of the number I must have thrown away in my day....

Back