Old bandsaw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergroundhunter

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a use for old bandsaw blades, I've just ordered a replacement 20mm x 3tpi and wondered if anyone had an ingenius use for the old one?

Matt

Once you have ground the teeth off a six inch length is almost a marking knife already.
You can then either make a posh handle or one out of tape.
I have double ended one for left and right hand marking

:idea: Snap off about four or five lengths of blade, approx. 18" long. Arrange them in a bundle, with teeth facing alternate ways. Wrap plenty of gaffa tape around the ends and you have an efficient, rough-stock removing tool if, you carve 'big things' like rocking horses. :idea:

Saw one on 'Flog It' the other day. Or something similar. A bendy sword, sheathed around the waist! I wondered if the aim was to hypnotise your opponent before running him through!

Had you thought about trying to resharpen it? It can be a bit of a long slog (not so bad with a 3tpi blade!) but it's not innately difficult. Even if it doesn't end up perfect it might make a useful backup blade for emergencies.

ED65":3d43b2my said:
Had you thought about trying to resharpen it? It can be a bit of a long slog (not so bad with a 3tpi blade!) but it's not innately difficult. Even if it doesn't end up perfect it might make a useful backup blade for emergencies.

Funny you should say that, I had a look in the linked to thread and read about sharpening them so I gave it a go with a diamond paddle, worked a treat. I have already ordered a new one from Ian but it doesnt matter.

Has anyone got any tips on stopping the blades from gumming up when cutting pine? I've been cleaning them with white spirit to get the resin off but didn';t know if there was a way to reduce the build up in the first place.

Matt

Lubricating the blade with wax helps. Tricky to keep it consistent though unless you make a special jig.

I have a few blades that aren't blunt, but are fairly knackered due to pinging off the bandsaw when I hit a nail or a knot.

I was wondering if I could take one of the good sections and use it for a blade on a homemade frame saw?

BearTricks":33mjq7ad said:
I have a few blades that aren't blunt, but are fairly knackered due to pinging off the bandsaw when I hit a nail or a knot.

I was wondering if I could take one of the good sections and use it for a blade on a homemade frame saw?

I have got a length in a eclipse hack saw frame that I use for pruning my trees.
I used a masonry nail to punch the holes in the blade.

BearTricks":2rww1yw3 said:

I think that depends on how wide the blade is. A good frame saw doesn't look right without a nice wide blade. Mine are 3/4" at the most; So that might be just about the smallest I'd want. I discovered recently that a Startrite 351 should use 1/2 inch blades maximum. It's been doing very nicely with 3/4" blades for over 25 years, so I shan't tell the bandsaw if you don't! :D

Back