Worktop, plasterboard walls etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
Loading and corner question. I haven't seen the material yet, just what a friend has described to me (they've asked me to go round next week and fit it).

U-shaped/3 wall run of worktop. Legs at the front. Plasterboard wall.

I'm intending to run a 2x3 batten along the wall, fixed with metal plasterboard selfdrive plugs every 6 inches. Joins will be butt joints (hopefully no rounded corners to deal with). Reinforcing strip underneath across the joint.

Feels adequate to me, but I'm always willing to check opinions when it comes to plasterboard...

With luck the battens the plaster board is fixed to will be at regularly spaced intervals so you should only need to find two to work out the rest then you just need to screw your supports at these intervals far less mucking around and firmer fixings.
Whatever you decide be careful about the services hidden behind the plaster board

Why do you need 2x3" support? All that does is increase the loading the wall has to carry.
I would use 2x1" fixed as you said but with liquid nails as well. I also think fixing at 6" centres is way over the top. As Lurker said, you need to find the support battens and screw through to those, (use a metal / stud locator to find them or just tap the boards to hear where they are). They will be at a maximum 600mm centres but could be down to 450mm.
This of course only applies if internal stud walls and you might find some of them to be block with dot and dab boards fixed in which case you should fix right through into the solid wall behind.
All the loading is downwards and the middle section of the "U" especially can't be pulled forwards. I assume when you say "reinforcing strip" you're not intending to route and fit the usual connector bolts across the joints.

I've fitted hundreds of kitchens including heavy granite and solid surface tops and never had a problem.

Bob

Thanks guys, I'll size the batten down as you suggest.

I wasn't going to route if at all possible. I was going to add adhesive as you suggested.

I never have much luck finding the studs, time to break out a small pointy screwdriver!

LancsRick":3gjgx7kl said:
I never have much luck finding the studs, time to break out a small pointy screwdriver!
Mark the top line of the batten around the walls and then poke through just under the line. Any holes will be covered. Once you've found the first, check at 400, 450 and 600 centres and you'll find the spacing.
Modern stud locators aren't expensive though and are effective.

Back