Looking into getting a lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lloydieboy

Reaction score
Hey, i'm new here and to turning altogether, I've been wanting to buy a lathe for a quite a while.
Now I have some spare money I actually want to get one. I would like to get a good one that would last me
a good amount of time and can make most things on, instead of ending up upgrading later.

My budget is around £350ish could go higher if necessary, then will probably try buy some second hand tools and
buy better ones once I have got the hang of things. I know better bang for the buck would be second hand and
a i will look around, but obviously would prefer new.

What do you guys recommend if I were to buy a new lathe, been looking into Axminster ones.

Cheers for any advise

So I've been doing some looking about, and think i'll buy some accessories first before jumping in (grinder, Mask/Respirator, eye wear)

Hi lloydieboy,

Welcome to the forum and .....

Oh dear, you've been bitten by the bug - The long slippery slope of 'needing' to get some kit!!

There will be as many views as there are people about the right equipment to get. The advice I was given on here when I first started looking was before buying anything - go to your local club and talk to the members - they are always helpful and willing to share their knowledge and experience. They won't all agree, but you will at least get a feel for what is out there and what you feel is right for you. Often someone will have a secondhand lathe (and kit), that you might want.

The other advice is to go and have a lesson from a pro, (or at least a very experienced hobbyist if you can't run to a pro - I did both and the pro route was infinitely superior for me).

By doing these things BEFORE you buy equipment, in my experience you will save an awful lot of unnecessary spending on stuff you don't really need an dwill get turning much quicker than floundering away on your own.

Best of luck with the new adventure.

Greg

Firstly be aware that the cost of the lathe is only the start. You will probably find you can spend as much again, or more, on turning tools and accessories (such as chucks and jaws, turning tools and tool sharpening kit etc). If you are thinking of second hand and get the opportunity to buy a lathe complete with chucks and turning tools then don't underestimate the value of those extras.
As an example, I bought a Union Graduate bowl lathe complete with disk sanding table and dust shroud for £150. I also bought a new Axminster Evolution chuck for £160 (they are dearer now) and must have spent another £150 on jaws.

Secondly, don't be tempted to buy cheap turning tools. Again if you go for second hand then look for brands like Sorby, Crown etc. A browse through a catalogue will point you in the right direction. Avoid makes such as Clarke or you will regret it.

Finally, I wholeheartedly agree with the advice to join a woodturning club. You will meet like minded people who have been through the process you are now at so will have first hand advice. You may get the chance to try out some lathes, either club lathes or members' own lathes, and try out some sharpening kit too. You may even find a source of used stuff to buy.

Good luck.

K

^^^^^^ as above. Give it a go BEFORE you start spending. You will end up spending more on grinders, chucks, centres, tools and so on than you will on your (first) lathe. If you watch ebay or small ads. be careful to add up what comes with a lathe - sometimes the gear with then is worth well more than the lathe. I've seen sales where you could have had a bargain if you threw the lathe away. A little experience will show you how many tools you actually need and how many it's just nice to have.

I was lucky and got into turning with an old Sealey lathe I got for £50!

There are plenty of little lathes out there for hardly any money that will give you a taste - if you then find you enjoy it you can upgrade the same as I did.

You could also visit a local club as Greg and Kevin (?) suggest - I think most turners will offer this as advice.

You'll be amazed at what you can produce with a small lathe!

:D

I have only been turning for about a year on and off and I have the Rutland's lathe, which is a small lathe similar to the small Jet lathe. It is a very good lathe for a beginner but if I was to buy a new one I would think about variable speed and a bigger diameter capacity if I wanted to turn larger diameter bowls. So your decision should be based on what you want to do with your lathe. I bought mine for a specific project, turning very large eggcups but it is now one of my favourite tools and the more you do the more you want to be able to do. I would agree with everyone's comments about accessories, I have spent three times the cost of the lathe on turning tools and chucks and could easily spend far more. Slippery slope!

Besides lessons and budget. My advice is buy the biiggest lathe you can get. You can always turn small stuff on a big lathe but not visa versa. Also most turner end up at some stage pushing their lathe to the max capacity wise.

Thanks for the advise everyone, was away for the weekend, sorry for the late reply.

Going to look into getting a beginner lesson soon.

Tempted to go down the second hand route, as pretty much every hobby I've done, I always have had great deals buying used
and never really had any problems

lloydieboy":2cv4dyl1 said:
Thanks for the advise everyone, was away for the weekend, sorry for the late reply.

Going to look into getting a beginner lesson soon.

Tempted to go down the second hand route, as pretty much every hobby I've done, I always have had great deals buying used
and never really had any problems

Interesting post-whilst you were posting this I was in Blackpool staying with friends (I'm from Weston) My friend Mike has been turning for a few yrs and I spent time in his workshop on his Myford ML8 which he bought on e-bay. That evening he found an ML8 for sale in Bristol and I am picking it up tomorrow. I know it needs repainting,but it has a few bit's and pieces and some tools with it. Even so,I reckon I'm looking at spending quite a bit on setting up a workshop in my garage.Some of it on a shed to store the stuff that has to go to give me room :D
I intend to join Weston Woodturning Circle and go on a course as well.

Andrewf":1qud29lf said:
My advice is buy the biiggest lathe you can get. You can always turn small stuff on a big lathe but not visa versa. Also most turner end up at some stage pushing their lathe to the max capacity wise.

I agree, this is good advice for virtually any machine tool you can think of.

But. I bought a large Lathe and found it a real PITA and in the end I couldn't use it after several house moves as I didn't have the space for it. I've now sold it and bought a very much smaller Lathe and find its more than adequate for the stuff I want to make. In truth I don't think I was ever going to do long spindle work anyway and the little Lathe can spin a 14" blank and wood that size costs enough as it is!

Back