Hand saw wotsit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
A house clearance dealer gave me this today: (can't beat the price...)

tree_saw.jpg

The teeth measure 6.8 to the inch, the set is around 11 thou in total (I measure the plate with a micrometer at 0.0475", and a vernier on the teeth at 0.059"). The rear of the plate is chamfered both sides, but certainly doesn't come to a usable edge.

The handle is rather dainty, and better suited to pulling than pushing. There's a lovely little hanging ring, and posh brass ferrule.

The set doesn't seem enough for wet wood, so the "obvious" answer of pruning saw doesn't seem to fit, nor do the forward pointing teeth.

EDIT; the teeth are filed with 0° fleam, around 10° rake, jargon as per Blackburn Tools

It's a crying shame the tip is broken off.

So - what kind of saw is it?

BugBear

Attachments

• tree_saw.jpg
    tree_saw.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 1,286
I'm attaching an image from an Edward Preston & Sons, Ltd. 1901 catalogue. The bottom item is not an exact match, but think it is essentially the same idea.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, Ar

Attachments

• Preston1901.jpeg
    Preston1901.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,219
DonMc":2outufty said:
I'm attaching an image from an Edward Preston & Sons, Ltd. 1901 catalogue. The bottom item is not an exact match, but think it is essentially the same idea.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, Ar

Agreed - thanks Don. (I was going to post it to OLDTOOLS tomorrow).

I should also have said explicitly that I could find no name or brand anywhere on it, despite careful examination.

Quick check in my bookcase; it shows (the same) in the 1909 Preston reprint I have, but there's nothing like it in the 1901 Sears & Roebuck (reprint), nor the 1935 Buck & Hickman.

Butchers saws in all 3 are the "modern" framed type.

EDIT; I note the text says "Cooks' saws and knives"; perhaps that chamfered back edge is meant to be for cutting after all.

BugBear

I noticed the same text and am not sure what to make of it. Wish there was more information in the Preston catalogues. This is pure conjecture, but wonder if the back edge was intended to be used as a light meat/food chopper? In which case, it may be possible that it required a less acute included bevel angle than a knife intended for slicing. ??

I've had a look at the excellent Appendix 1 to Simon Barley's BSSM - types of saw - and agree that it looks most likely to have been made as a kitchen saw, ie one which could be used to cut small bones when preparing meat. I can't find an exact match catalogue picture though, with the riveted on tang.

I checked the "broken" tip of my tool under magnification (and fingertips...). The surface is completely smooth and even, so if it was a break, it's been cleaned up.

However, careful searching has uncovered this:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-saws/Dis ... wKnife.asp

Where the tip is just like mine. It may be a design variant w.r.t. the Preston, and my tool may be (yippee!) intact.

BugBear

This picture might be the best match yet. It has the handle fixed on with three rivets (in a slightly different shape) and a clear identification of purpose. It's from a Tyzack & Son catalogue of 1940 which listed a wide range of tools.

cooksknifesaw.JPG

Different tip shape though.

Attachments

• cooksknifesaw.JPG
    cooksknifesaw.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 880
AndyT":3p82zmit said:
This picture might be the best match yet. It has the handle fixed on with three rivets (in a slightly different shape) and a clear identification of purpose. It's from a Tyzack & Son catalogue of 1940 which listed a wide range of tools.

file.php

Different tip shape though.

Wow - that's really close.

BugBear

Back