What can I do with this wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearTricks

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 9 boards of sapele, five are about 2 meters long, 35mm thick and 200mm wide. The other four are about half as long, but the same thickness and width.

I tried resawing one of the shorter ones by hand just out of curiosity and got about half the way through before my arms gave up. I thought I could eventually get them a more reasonable thickness. As thick as they are at the moment, there's not a lot I can think to do with them.

Can anyone think of a project I could take on where I could use them at this thickness or thereabouts? Or a way to resaw boards this long without a big bandsaw?

A beautiful wood like that, it would be a crime not to resaw and glue up into panels. Anyone near you with a decent bandsaw?

I'm considering resawing, but I don't personally know anyone with a suitable bandsaw nearby.

Dining table, nothing like eating off a table made by yourself, put the food on plates if you are feeling posh!

Pete

I would make a coffee table out of it and put it where I can see the beauty of Sepele everyday.

Yes little tables!
I wouldn't attempt to resaw until cut to length/width for a project e.g. if you had a little drawer in your table you could front back and sides by resawing 2 pieces, but only after cutting to length and width

I'll probably do two bedside tables out of it to start. Ideally I wanted a credenza but I don't think I'd get anything thick enough by resawing.

Dont you have a local woodyard? Ask them nicely to use their bandsaw and saw it for you, A case of beer is always a good inducement.

Don't discount combining the wood with another type of wood to make a larger project.

I have limited amounts of 'nice' wood, so I use it as featured pieces in furniture that's mainly pine

YouTube search for Jon Peter's. He has quite a few projects in Sapele (many are outdoor ones).

It's one one of the cheaper hardwoods going, many Timber places have it down as a first choice for a cheap hardwood when you want a painted finish.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Back