Fitting Ball Catches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
I normally fit the "ball" into the cupboard frame, then put a piece of carbon paper over it and close the door to get the location for the keeper. Except I'm out of carbon paper!

Anyone got another method or do I have to head off to WH Smiths?

I've used a felt tip previously. Needs plenty of wet ink and obviously leaves a mark on the wood. Not ideal but it's ok if you're stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stu's method but with masking tape on the un-cut side?

When you've marked and cut the real hole for the ball in the door, remove the remains of the tape.

Related question: How do you size your balls?

Seriously - if the door and frame are too close, the catch gets very hard to open, as the angle of contact between the ball catch and the striker plate is too severe. So you either have a larger gap (not pleasing), set either ball or plate in a bit more (possibly OK), or use a smaller-sized catch altogether and risk it going loose as the wood moves around.

It seems to me the ones with a "hollow" striker plate rather than just a hole are best, as they should keep the ball in the "just so" position irrespective of how the wood moves, but I've had trouble finding them these days (I take them off old furniture when I can).

Any thoughts?

Eric The Viking":3sczxnmd said:
Stu's method but with masking tape on the un-cut side?

When you've marked and cut the real hole for the ball in the door, remove the remains of the tape.

Related question: How do you size your balls?

Seriously - if the door and frame are too close, the catch gets very hard to open, as the angle of contact between the ball catch and the striker plate is too severe. So you either have a larger gap (not pleasing), set either ball or plate in a bit more (possibly OK), or use a smaller-sized catch altogether and risk it going loose as the wood moves around.

It seems to me the ones with a "hollow" striker plate rather than just a hole are best, as they should keep the ball in the "just so" position irrespective of how the wood moves, but I've had trouble finding them these days (I take them off old furniture when I can).

Any thoughts?

Masking tape...of course, why didn't I think of that!

I use the Brusso ball catches, either the small 6mm version or the medium 9mm ones, I find the grooved keeper plate seems to work pretty well. On taller cupboard doors (say over about 800mm) I prefer to have a catch at both the top and the bottom. The down side of these ball catches is the tolerances are pretty tight, you need a constant gap of no more than 1.0 to 1.5mm, which adds to the build time and means you need a very stable and precise construction. The benefits are that a Brusso catch at the bottom prevents sagging, provides a very satisfying and positive feel to opening and closing, looks discrete, blends nicely with their knife and butt hinges, and doesn't risk scratching the client's hand as they reach inside the cupboard.

custard":wbpxlsed said:
I normally fit the "ball" into the cupboard frame, then put a piece of carbon paper over it and close the door to get the location for the keeper. Except I'm out of carbon paper!

Anyone got another method or do I have to head off to WH Smiths?

Custard,

Buy a solid graphite pencil, (Stocked by Art stores, in all grades.) Lay the pencil flat on a sheet of tracing paper, (on a hard surface) to make yourself a custom 'patch' of carbon paper.)

HTH

J

Back