New videos up making a small table using a Hegner.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrimper

Established Member
Reaction score
Great videos scrimper, thanks for posting.

How did you fix the edging on to the table top please? And was the edging already pre-shaped with that ogee or did you shape it on your router table? And if on the router table did you shape it before or after fixing it to the table top?

Sorry if these are daft Qs.

Thanks.

AES

Thanks for the reply, I was a bit worried that they were inappropriate after 55 views and no comments!

No question is daft, it's nice for you to ask and be interested, some little tables I have made I use a bit of hardwood edging glued around as it gives a better finish than the softwood end grain, but in this case I did the shaping on a router table doing several passes, the cutter does 'pucker' up the end grain a bit, so I rub a little Brummer stopping over the grain then with sanding and then sanding between each coat of varnish it comes up OK.

I did think about videoing doing that bit but I am trying to cut down on length as people soon get bored.

Thanks again for your comments. :D

Super batch of videos although something is bothering me .... What's the story with the 'toothy pig' in the window?

OK scrimper, thanks, sorry to be dense, but:

If the edging is shaped before fixing to the table top, how do you fix it while the glue dries? Cramps won't hold it all that well (I wouldn't have thought, because of the shape), so do you use small pins or something?

That's what I've done in the past, but then you (i.e. I) had the problem of A) the router cutter may contact the pin, and/or B) you have silly little holes to fill in the edging, and that bit's supposed to be the nicest-looking of all.

Routing the shape after it's glued on I can understand (so they're clamped while still simple rectangles), but although these table tops are obviously quite small, they are still a bit bulky (compared to the size of the router table top) so they're a bit difficult to move past the cutter smoothly so that you get nice, smoothly-contoured shaped edges, aren't they?

As you may guess from the above, I've had a couple of little goes at doing jobs like this myself (OK, in my case for work tables in the shop so the look wasn't so important), but my edges did NOT come out looking anywhere near as good as yours.

I'd actually like to have a go at something like this myself (a little table for show in the sitting room) and I like the idea of some sort of fretwork cut out in the "side rails" (?) which I hadn't seen before, but have so far not even attempted, mainly because of the above "experiences".

Perhaps another video wouldn't be so boring? I guess a lot depends on your audience - I certainly wasn't bored, but I can well imagine that very experienced workers may be.

AES

AES":3pqsrm37 said:
If the edging is shaped before fixing to the table top, how do you fix it while the glue dries? Cramps won't hold it all that well (I wouldn't have thought, because of the shape), so do you use small pins or something?

Indeed if I use the moulding method I use thin [moulding pins] while the adhesive sets, I punch them in and fill with brummer stopping, if you blend the right colour stopping they are not visible after the varnish is applied. in 95% of the tops I make I just do them on the router without using any moulding.
I'd actually like to have a go at something like this myself (a little table for show in the sitting room) and I like the idea of some sort of fretwork cut out in the "side rails" (?) which I hadn't seen before, but have so far not even attempted, mainly because of the above "experiences".

They are actually really easy to make, I have actually made dozens of these in various sizes, all given away.
Perhaps another video wouldn't be so boring? I guess a lot depends on your audience - I certainly wasn't bored, but I can well imagine that very experienced workers may be.
As I mention in my narration, it's not expert cabinet making and not intended for experts, I was making the thing anyway and having a new camera thought I would make a little film in case anyone might find it interesting but as you say experienced woodworkers will be bored and probably horrified at the amateur construction practices.

I used to buy woodworking magazines but always found they featured superbly made items beyond my abilities nor did I have any desire to make them, practically every item I make serves it's purpose but is simply made and uses recycled or scrap softwoods, they are also easy for anyone else to make.

NazNomad":19mx4jq2 said:
Super batch of videos although something is bothering me .... What's the story with the 'toothy pig' in the window?

Thanks for the kind comments. Well the pig will be staring in another video (if anyone is interested) at a later date. In spare moments I make whirligigs. one at the building stage is based on Shaun the Sheep, featuring the Pig, Shaun, Timmy and the farmer! They are all made from recycled stuff inc bits of old vacs washing machines and metal shelving.

One can be seen here https://youtu.be/mc_Ow7KqLlg

Back