Best value/performance 2" sanding discs for bowl sanding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a velcro 2" sanding pad in a hand drill for sanding/finishing bowls. Abrasives soon mount up if you're buying them in packs of 10 at each grit, so I was just wondering what everyone's go-to sanding disk/pad supplier was for 2" sanding discs?

If it works out cheaper, which it presumably does, to buy in bulk of say 50 or 100 discs at each grit (inc. 600 grit - and maybe higher if worth while) then stocking up would save me £££'s in the long run, but I wouldn't want to buy a bulk of something to find that it turns out to be rubbish.

For those of us that us them, where do buy yours from and how much for? Any recommendations of what type/brand to avoid buying?

I use squares of Abranet. I did it in a hurry first, then I realised that the square seems to make no difference - the corners soften and act a bit like a flap wheel. For most occasions, it's fine - you'd only need the circle if working into a definite edge.

I use the Rhyno abrasive that Richard (amongst others) sells and cut my own as and when needed with an old pair of scissors. Which if you buy a 115mm x 1m length @2.50 is about 40 discs or thereabouts.

Same as Nev above, great abrasive, good prices and Richard is a top bloke too ! :)

I confess that I do use a wad punch and hammer to cut out the circles, but not at all necessary, cutting squares with scissors is what most sensible folk would do !

Cheers, Paul

Square cut Velcro backed sheets of Rhino or other good brand, I find square cut a distinctive advantage when sanding inside small boxes etc. as mentioned above the corner flaps work well on the sides and undercuts where a disc won't reach.

Usually works out at 2-3 pence a load as opposed to upwards of 30 pence each for quality pre-cut discs.

Don't be too super critical about life of an abrasive sheet if it cuts well as long as the price is right, 50 squares of a slightly less robust abrasive work as well as 30 squares of a dearer one and encourage the use of new sharp abrasive rather than trying to work beyond the free cutting curve.

I buy 150mm wide Velcro backed paper from a roll, This I do as I use a 37mm, 50mm and a 75mm disc which means that when I cut it I get the most out of the width. See picture this is from a 500mm long piece but it gives the idea how I cut from it.
simonhope_zpse4bace20.jpg

Pity more suppliers of sheet/roll material don't make the 150mm wide stock more readily available, I guess it's a case of 100mm being the bigger volume consumption item.
Hopefully those stockists intent on supplying the turning fraternity will take notice of comments made when in contact and change their stock sizes.

CHJ":3b9v8tus said:
Pity more suppliers of sheet/roll material don't make the 150mm wide stock more readily available, I guess it's a case of 100mm being the bigger volume consumption item.
Hopefully those stockists intent on supplying the turning fraternity will take notice of comments made when in contact and change their stock sizes.

I get mine from Simon Hope

If you are ever in the need to use 80 grit Velcro backed stock for power sanding you may well find that it needs to be used with a 75mm/3" sanding pad. Most brands just do not give enough bonding strength on a the area of a 2" disc to overcome the cutting friction of the coarse grit.

CHJ":cdblo8or said:
If you are ever in the need to use 80 grit Velcro backed stock for power sanding you may well find that it needs to be used with a 75mm/3" sanding pad. Most brands just do not give enough bonding strength on a the area of a 2" disc to overcome the cutting friction of the coarse grit.

I'd prefer to 'tool' a better finish than to need 80 grit, but duly noted, thanks Chas :D

Most like to drive a high end limousine given the choice but there are times when a decrepit old Tractor is the more practical tool for the job.

If speed of finish and remuneration or project completion is more paramount than personal kudos it all comes down to the fact that a customer just sees a well finished piece with no concept or interest in how it was achieved.

I totally agree with you. I didn't mean to sound snobby in my reply, I'm still only learning so I try to achieve as good a finish as I can more for the practice than anything, but from experience it doesn't always 'turn' out how you want it (excuse the terrible pun!)

My last lot of sanding discs came from here. Rhynogrip discs.

I used to buy strips and cut squares but now prefer discs - I find that I can sand up to a foot or feature more easily without worrying about the corners removing too much.

If you are planning on bulk buying, a lot depends on how many you use. In my experience they have a finite shelf life. The adhesive holding the Velcro cloth fails. The abrasive is still fine for hand use but won't stick to a disc. I think a couple of years is about as long as some last so I'd not plan on buying a ten-year supply.

CHJ":2rsalhgq said:
I use 115mm wide rolls, which is just about perfect for a 50mm pad. It's Rhynogrip Plus. I've not had any problems with 80 grit escaping from the pad.

Back