Which router for table with above table adjust/bit change?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My Bosch gmf 1400 has packed in for the second time. So I'm planning on replacing it. I want to get a festool 1400 to use out of the table and want a dedicated router for my Jessem router table.

I'd like to be able to adjust the height and change the bit from above. Does that limit me to Triton? If so which one?

Can anyone recommend a specific model?

I'm in the middle of making architraves which ideally I need to get done today so plan to go to Axminster in Cardiff or Screwfix today if I can decide quickly enough!

Cheers
Dave

DaveyP":2twxrgpx said:
If so which one?

Only your credit card can answer that question ...

I went for the cheap one, as the hp was adequate for my needs

The budget isn't so much of an issue. Obviously not gonna buy a festool to stick in the table though! Most of the contenders will be in the £200-400 range which is fine.

More than 1400 watts would be a plus as I sometimes felt it wasn't enough in the table.

Having just gone through the same buyer's dilemma, my findings were:

1) Buy a Triton - they've got the table features built in, and are well known with a 3 year warranty. Some quality issues arise at times (notably the switch, which was faulty on my first one), but are immediately replaced.
2) Buy any router and a 3rd party lift - gives you total control over buying choices, but adds another £150 to your purchase
3) Buy a Festool setup - I'm not a pro, so would never part with that much cash.

I got the Triton JOF001 - only used it a couple of times and apart from getting a dud switch in the first one, it seems to do exactly what I want it to.

Wuffles":qyd2co37 said:
Of the Tritons, the TRA001 seems to be the favourite for that. I have one.

Thanks Wuffles. How do you find the bit change & height adjustment when in a table?

It seems quite cheap for a router of it's size, have they cut corners on the build quality?

Cheers
Dave

LancsRick":2x1a660p said:
Having just gone through the same buyer's dilemma, my findings were:

1) Buy a Triton - they've got the table features built in, and are well known with a 3 year warranty. Some quality issues arise at times (notably the switch, which was faulty on my first one), but are immediately replaced.

Thanks mate.

I'm considering the Festool OF1400 for all the handheld use because of the excellent dust extraction.

So, sounds like the Triton TRA001 is the way to go if it can offer good height adjustment and bit change from above the table.

Thanks chaps.
Dave

scubadoo":17ut6ylz said:
Wuffles":17ut6ylz said:
Of the Tritons, the TRA001 seems to be the favourite for that. I have one.

Thanks Wuffles. How do you find the bit change & height adjustment when in a table?

It seems quite cheap for a router of it's size, have they cut corners on the build quality?

Cheers
Dave

I've got an of2200 and a 1010, so in terms of quality the triton is fairly plasticy, works great in a table though. Above table bit change is really cool. Watch out when you take out the spring from the TRA001 for table use, it's lethal.

Yeah +1 for watching out for the spring, nearly hit me in the face!!
Tra001 is great in the table, powerful, quiet, above table height adjustment and bit change.
Really is superb and unrivalled at the price (I paid £200 late last year).
I'd be surprised if you regretted buying the triton

Need to speak up for the Trend T11 here: I do above-table changes on mine with no trouble (although you do need to push a thumb in to engage the spindle lock from underneath. I do not use a shaft/collet extender, either.

All you need to do is remove the plunge depth screw, its spring and the plunge depth scale. No tools necessary. That allows extra plunge "depth" than normal, which is plenty enough to spanner the collet from above, with all but the largest cutters. I have one huge panel-raiser that I've not yet used, which might be awkward, but all else, including one quite big CMT profile cutter and my Wealden rebater are fine.

It works for me, and I'm pleased with the setup. I use the older 6mm thick aluminium plate for the table that Axminster used to sell (other people still do, I think). Their UJK ones are 8mm IIRC, but may do just as well, as the 2mm probably isn't critical.

Elu-copy routers from DeWalt and CMT as well as the Trend T10 and T11 should be fine. The only differences with the T11 are that it has through-table height adjustment and a larger hole in the baseplate for better access for bigger cutters (table-only lumps).

scubadoo":3by3vch7 said:
Hello,

My Bosch gmf 1400 has packed in for the second time. So I'm planning on replacing it. I want to get a festool 1400 to use out of the table and want a dedicated router for my Jessem router table.

I'd like to be able to adjust the height and change the bit from above. Does that limit me to Triton? If so which one?

Can anyone recommend a specific model?

I'm in the middle of making architraves which ideally I need to get done today so plan to go to Axminster in Cardiff or Screwfix today if I can decide quickly enough!

Cheers
Dave

Which JessEm table do you have? Do you have a JessEm plate or JessEm lift?

Cheers Peter

Thanks for all the additional input.

It's the standard Jessem rout-r table without a lift.

I've just picked up the festool which looks great. Then went to Screwfix but they don't stock the triton in store, just on line.

Latest posts

Back