Help with extending desk.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endgrain.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

Am building this desk and need ideas to allow the keyboard area to extend. It is 1200mm wide.
Birch ply 18mm on top doubled up at front.
Desk extenders place the desk too low, It needs to be directly below so that when pushed in it becomes the desk again.

Any ideas?

I could build a drawer below and use drawer runers but desk is at 720mm quite low and lady has big thighs :lol:

Attachments

• Trish 600 unit2.png
    Trish 600 unit2.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 159
Does just the central part extend? If so, I'd put strips of wood either side of it, and then attach the strips to the sides of the shelf units by full extension drawer slides

Hi Matt, Yes only the centre part extends and returns flush with main desk.

So effectively making a drawer with no bottom, Or even two small boxes on each end to make it stronger?

Why even do that with full extension runners? I would add the back and side supports underneath but inset by enough so that the flat drawer top can sit on 2 wood runners set just below.

If you were keen to get clean lines you could add a false front apron to cover the support sides and runner assembly pretty much the same as the front apron where the legs go on this piece except it's attached to the "drawer".

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...0057/lot-fff19faa-fbab-4f44-9db8-a43e000f368b

rafezetter":hzyfk10e said:
Why even do that with full extension runners? I would add the back and side supports underneath but inset by enough so that the flat drawer top can sit on 2 wood runners set just below.

Because the extension would have no support at full extension if you used wooden runners. You would need to limit extension.

The false front is a nice idea, but would need to be thin so it didn't run against said thighs!

It looks like quite a long unsupported section in the middle, and at that point, you are only at a single sheet of ply (with the slide out not being part of the supporting section)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have found these which might work.
http://www.catchesandlatches.co.uk/shel ... -h42139908

I could use wooden runners as the desk is potentaialy 650 deep with extension of 400 which leaves 250 inside.

There is space below the extension, about 75mm

All that matters aesthetically is that the extension returns flush with the upper piece.

Yes 1200 is wide, too wide but with a small bow/ drawer/trip of oak/matal below it should be ok.

Running a leg to the ground on a wheel is an option if it is not sturdy enough :oops:

What do you think guys, your input is appreciated.

I fear those drawer runners you linked won't offer the same support as full extension slides. However full extension slides aren't the best looking things in the world.

250mm inside might be enough support if she's careful not to put anything heavy on it or lean on it. If you go this route, I'd recommend using hardwood for the runners / supports, and keeping a tight fit (with wax to lubricate)

MattRoberts":3uqb0wvr said:
rafezetter":3uqb0wvr said:

Because the extension would have no support at full extension if you used wooden runners. You would need to limit extension.

The false front is a nice idea, but would need to be thin so it didn't run against said thighs!

I was under the impression most desks tops were around 600mm deep - that would give a pull out range of somewhere around 300 - 400 mm. If you go much more than that you'll have to push it back in to reach the side sections plus there are not that many keyboards even close to 300mm deep.

I've sat at a desk like this and it's not the keyboard depth that is the issue. It's the required area for mouse work, too shallow and using a mouse becomes impossible, you end up putting the mouse on the main surface and having to reach for it which is also a pain.

Useful observations which follow my own thought processes, thanks guys.
I agree with your comments entirely Matt, altough would be happier with 400mm remaining in the desk.
I need to check how far it is possible to go backwards with the desk.
The desk itself runs along the wall of the loft conversion.
This means that the desk is set away from the roof angle to enable height of monitor. It may be that there is enough room to allow 400mm pullout which as fitzroy reminded me, is necessary for comfortable mouse use.
If there is the room for 400in and 400 extension is the concensus that this would work with hardwood runners?
Personally, I would always prefer a wooden drawer runner over steel but it has to work.
Either that or a small box/drawer which enables the drawer runners?

nev":q5psp67e said:
Blum Movento or Tandem full extension draw runners. Not cheap but will do exactly what you need. (you'll need a false front drop of about 10 or 15mm to hide the catches)
http://www.blum.com/gb/en/01/#4

Thanks Nev

Looks like they are £30 from Issac Lord ...very reasonable.

Attachments

• trish shelving.png
    trish shelving.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Trish 600 unit box.png
    Trish 600 unit box.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Trish 600 unit front.png
    Trish 600 unit front.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 30
Back