What wood is this...or, is this oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wuffles

Established Member
Reaction score
Found it on a beach, washed up after the storms in Jan/Feb. It's about 4.5m long and is drying out nicely in the back of my workshop.

Pretty jammy I got to it before the chainsaw crew got in there for firewood.

0472af64ac12b22265353d130105842a.jpg

2301c6ccf928b6c8a59652ce7d3a3dcb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That'll burn lovely then. Cheers.

Only joking.

What to do, what to do. Put it with the other slabs I have found/bought/inherited and turn them all into benches.

yep, it looks like oak, if you plain it oak has a distinctive smell, it's hard to tell without seeing the end grain, smell and end grain are good ways to identify it. It's a shame about the cracks.

Call that a crack? This s a crack!

'Scuse the dust.

90cee2ce473e09836ef157c3989e32b0.jpg

df0348553c0bf30636318f9a96bfcbed.jpg

The 3rd pic was of a piece of elm, the others were of oak, Lovely stuff you've got hold of there, would make nice benches etc
Rodders

blackrodd":ek62xdtv said:
The 3rd pic was of a piece of elm, the others were of oak, Lovely stuff you've got hold of there, would make nice benches etc
Rodders

I thought it was ash, but I'm easy. It is already a bench though. As with most benches in my house, it's covered in stuff or I'd take a better photo.

That particular one looked like a scaffold plank when I found it.

woodenhottubuk":1z0ig6nj said:
Hi!
Have you created anything with this plank?
It is really amazing to see when something like this gets second life and becomes useful :)

Not yet, give it 10 years and I'll have got round to it.

Wuffles, how did you get on with the glow in the dark stuff ? I've just received a sample, but am unsure how much I might need for the real job. Any tips on using it ? Any pointers gratefully received ;)

Coley
Edit:
8b8df7cefffadd823467f94721e32a66.jpg

The cracks are massive now compared to this pic- I've been waiting for ages for inspiration then noticed the glow in the dark stuff on pintrest.

Come and see my glow in the dark workshop floor. That's my first expensive lesson on working with resin and not covering up ALL of the holes in the workpiece.

I used the powder you add to standard resin and provided you mix it well enough and realise that the powder will sink during drying, you're golden. Do it in small batches if you're doing it deep. Meaning, fill it almost completely with just resin until you're doing the final surface coat, then add the powder - if that makes sense.

So for a 12mm deep crack for instance, fill 9mm of it with just clear resin, then the top 3mm with the mixture ? That picture I just showed was taken.....11 months ago. It's been sat in the workshop ever since. Slowly the cracks have got wider and wider.

Coley

Yep, that's what I'd do if I did it again. Different powders (colours) have different lighting up time properties too. The green I used was only one down from the electric blue colour I seem to recall, which gave most light for longest.

It's also worth doing a quick pour to make sure all the exits are blocked too...another expensive lesson.

Done a few now though, no others are glow in the dark though.

Chuck a bow tie joint in that crack first? I had a jig made up at a laser cutting acrylic place, worked a charm with the whiteside router template bit.

Talking of resin, here's the bar top for the wife's booze cupboard, just drying in the workshop.

eeb6e66fa8604ae860ac8179403ac2f4.jpg

I do like that bar top !!! what finish are you gonna put on it ?
The only issue I can see with the resin is the edges. Obviously tape them up or something but how do you make sure the powder get right on the edge ? I'm guessing just fill with clear, then chisel away the clear on the edges that show ? Apologies for the thread hijack ;)

Coley

Latest posts

Back