Lacquer - Which Do You Use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently made a couple of items that required a real gloss, and one that needed a tough finish to withstand a few knocks (not heavy duty, but in use daily). The only lacquer I could find was from Halfords, a heavy duty car lacquer. I used it and everything seems fine, but am I using the right stuff? Is there a better spray lacquer for wood?

I use a spray guns etc with different lacquers, but it looks like you are wanting something more commercial? -l if you are talking of 100% gloss you could try using Clear gloss varnish - and just use the wipe on method- but to be fair I have only done this with a satin or matt finish and it gives great results. Plus if you are using it to put on a open grain timber- I would suggest filling the grain first. I have just googled resin lacquers and have found these- I have no experience in them but it may be what you are looking for. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rustins-PCGL25 ... GW1DGHNJCM

http://www.countryloveceramics.com/arti ... s-sealers/

I use Chestnut melamine lacquer - which sprays well.

If it's a small job, could you use some cans of spray lacquer?

Either way you can just build up as many coats as you need.

Cheers

Gidon

If you want something tough I've been told Rustins plastic coating for furniture is very good but it's not a spray you have to paint it on.

So are all these other formulas of lacquer different in any meaningful way from Halfords' car lacquer? For the relatively rare occasions I use it, is the car lacquer the wrong thing? It certainly brought the items up in a clear, shell like gloss. Even the endgrain took it well, even if it needed an extra couple of coats.

Penny":3b81npnc said:
So are all these other formulas of lacquer different in any meaningful way from Halfords' car lacquer? For the relatively rare occasions I use it, is the car lacquer the wrong thing? It certainly brought the items up in a clear, shell like gloss. Even the endgrain took it well, even if it needed an extra couple of coats.

I buy cheapo "Auto Lacquer" aerosol cans from eBay for small items and it seems to work fine.

Reminds me of a Not the nine o'clock news sketch - The Swedish Drug Store?

"I would like to buy a deodorant please"
"Ball or Aerosol?"
"Neither, it is for my armpits".

I use halford's car laquer for small jobs and for larger ones I use autopaints international's laquer. They both have UV inhibitors and provide a very durable and high gloss finish. Remember these are on cars in the worst of conditions that a finish can endure and last for years. The secret to getting a great finish is to apply it in many thin layers and cutting back between coats, remember to wipe over with a tack rag as well. The only problem you may experience is if you use it on a wood that moves a lot over the coarse of the year with humidity it can crack or craze. The way to gt round this is to make sure you apply at least two coats on the rear face as well. hth

Latest posts

Back