6 minute video good projecty and made a good start oftheday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in America basic tools includes a table saw, bandsaw, mitresaw and router.
in America cheap timber isn't just white pine.
in America plywood is all baltic birch (anything else is construction timber)
in America a garage workshop is 60m2 minimum.
in America you can quit your well paid job to focus on making videos and this is a viable alternative.

oh and I like April, she's learning as she goes and using fairly basic methods but makes nice looking bits and pieces. there seems to be a group of people who do this sort of stuff and they are all pretty good to watch, although I'm excluding the druken woodworker, the wood whisperer, giaco something and whatever as they annoy the hell out me. :)

Wizard9999":16a8cnf0 said:
She certainly seems to be able to get the volume of views to make the YouTube model work.

Terry.

If you looked like her I expect you would get lots of views too :)

novocaine":26n3h3ov said:
in America basic tools includes a table saw, bandsaw, mitresaw and router.
in America cheap timber isn't just white pine.
in America plywood is all baltic birch (anything else is construction timber)
in America a garage workshop is 60m2 minimum.
in America you can quit your well paid job to focus on making videos and this is a viable alternative.

oh and I like April, she's learning as she goes and using fairly basic methods but makes nice looking bits and pieces. there seems to be a group of people who do this sort of stuff and they are all pretty good to watch, although I'm excluding the druken woodworker, the wood whisperer, giaco something and whatever as they annoy the hell out me. :)

I used to work in a job that often took me to the USA, and I met quite a few woodworkers both hobbyist and professional. The reality was different from my expectations,

-the climate across large parts of the USA is pretty brutal, consequently cars are often garaged where as in the UK they're generally left outside, consequently even large American garages don't leave that much space for woodworking

-timber is local rather than national, Americans in aggregate have a fantastic choice of timbers, but on an individual, local basis that's often not the case

-the Americans I met were often astonished at how low UK property taxes are and that the NHS is genuinely free. Many Americans told me that if they had free health care and low property taxes they'd go full time with their woodworking in a heart beat.

-the full time "designer/makers" I met in the US (and I met quite a few) seemed to be operating with very similar costs and revenues to their UK counterparts. The ones that are good at getting out and selling their wares get by okay, the ones that lock themselves away in a workshop out in the sticks struggle. Many are turning to "teaching" (face to face or on-line) as a way of making the numbers add up. Same old, same old.

The grass is always greener, but I came away with the view that the reality facing American woodworkers is on balance not all that much different to the UK.

custard":2wqv6vs2 said:
I used to work in a job that often took me to the USA, and I met quite a few woodworkers both hobbyist and professional. The reality was different from my expectations,

-the climate across large parts of the USA is pretty brutal, consequently cars are often garaged where as in the UK they're generally left outside, consequently even large American garages don't leave that much space for woodworking

-timber is local rather than national, Americans in aggregate have a fantastic choice of timbers, but on an individual, local basis that's often not the case

-the Americans I met were often astonished at how low UK property taxes are and that the NHS is genuinely free. Many Americans told me that if they had free health care and low property taxes they'd go full time with their woodworking in a heart beat.

-the full time "designer/makers" I met in the US (and I met quite a few) seemed to be operating with very similar costs and revenues to their UK counterparts. The ones that are good at getting out and selling their wares get by okay, the ones that lock themselves away in a workshop out in the sticks struggle. Many are turning to "teaching" as a way of making the numbers add up. Same old, same old.

The grass is always greener, but I came away with the view that the reality facing American woodworkers is on balance not all that much different to the UK.

I'm aware of all that, it was sort of tongue in cheek comments to be honest. what we don't see from this side of the pond is the poverty divide in the states is massive, we only see the ones with a bit of money, the ones without the money don't get noticed.
i've worked in the states quite a bit and spend time with people across the range of social scale, it is surprising to see at first.

anyways.
in America everyone is free, except for those who have to pay. :)

Monkey Mark":2p8y9hsr said:
Simple and good looking. I like it.

yes, I'm sure she is, which rather distracts attention from her "interesting" attitude to safety. I'll leave it to others to make the complete list of dangerous practices :( .

Why would you install a brace with a spirit level instead of a square?

ah yer, I see what you mean, she moves her fence from one side to the other quite a bit. odd, but then there is a wall against the other side so I guess she has to to get wide cuts.

was just wondering is all. :)

It must be fashionable across the pond to use a table saw without a blade guard. I have seen it so many times. Also a guy chainsawing a tree trunk for woodturning blanks while holding the trunk with his foot, wearing open toe sandals.

And they have no free NHS !!!

K

I've recently discovered the youtube wood workers...I think they call it the 'Maker Movement' in the US.

I quite like the format and as I make stuff out in my workshop that no one sees but me, I've contemplated making videos of what I do so that at least someone is aware of what I've done.

I think what makes these channels successful is that they make things that are accessible, i.e. the average hobbyist can make the same thing in their shed/garage. That means is the joinery tends to be fairly basic, i.e. pocket holes etc - that means with some fairly cheap power tools and a small amount of skill you can make the same plywood cabinet that they make.

On the video the things look well made, but I suspect if you had a look closely you would be able to tell that it hasn't been made particularly well. Much like the cheap furniture you might be able to buy from somewhere like Wilkinsons or similar.

Entertaining video, sometimes people make their videos to long so that was just right. The choice of colours was good as well i think. Was a shame she didn't make real drawers tho

Latest posts

Back