Clamps doe edge gluing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what people use here to edge glue boards together?

The ones I see people most often using are sash clamps, but I can't afford those.
Any suggestions?

Thanks allot

You could make up your own with some clamp heads from the likes of Paramo or Record. All I have used for 20 years.

Although they're not as good as the more expensive ones, there are some 4ft clamps available online for about £15 a clamp if that's better for your pocket.

Use hide glue and you don't need cramps at all, just a rub joint until it grabs then prop the assembled top against some sticks lying at an angle against a wall and leave them for a couple of hours.

If it was good enough for Chippendale...

I used bits of wood and folding wedges when i first started but have slowly collected a range of sash cramps. There's just something about using an old Record sash cramp. Reminds me of my school days and my first forays into the wonderful world of wood with Mr Polger, the woodwork teacher. They are called Tech tutors or summat now.

Beau":33a4uq79 said:
You could make up your own with some clamp heads from the likes of Paramo or Record. All I have used for 20 years.

Clamp heads? Would that mean dismantling the clamps and adding extra to then to fit the job?

Thanks

LancsRick":3mwuu3s4 said:
Although they're not as good as the more expensive ones, there are some 4ft clamps available online for about £15 a clamp if that's better for your pocket.

I see. thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look,

custard":3bgr7qft said:
Use hide glue and you don't need cramps at all, just a rub joint until it grabs then prop the assembled top against some sticks lying at an angle against a wall and leave them for a couple of hours.

If it was good enough for Chippendale...

Hide glue - haven't heard of that, I'll check it out. Sounds strong

Thanks

skipdiver":2ijegq6s said:
I used bits of wood and folding wedges when i first started but have slowly collected a range of sash cramps. There's just something about using an old Record sash cramp. Reminds me of my school days and my first forays into the wonderful world of wood with Mr Polger, the woodwork teacher. They are called Tech tutors or summat now.

Yep - design and technology,

If you do woodwork in school now, it has to be incorporated into a metal work, textiles and cooking package :roll:

paulm":2j6r43ei said:
Could use some folding wedges and bench stops or similar.

Cheers, Paul

+1.

This shows some folding wedges I used on a back panel glue up.

IMG_3749_zpswtpk38fw.jpg

You just screw some blocks on any old scrap wood, to make a clamp or two to suit the work in hand. Cost = £0.00

I like to use these panel clamp heads - £16 for the hardware and then you use your own timber to make a clamp as long as you need it http://www.axminster.co.uk/york-panel-clamp-500008

I have the timber pre-drilled at regular intervals in various lengths - you can almost clamp any length

Attachments

• 500008_xl.jpg
    500008_xl.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 500008_inset1_xl.jpg
    500008_inset1_xl.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 85
AndyT":2gh3uif0 said:
paulm":2gh3uif0 said:
Could use some folding wedges and bench stops or similar.

Cheers, Paul

+1.

This shows some folding wedges I used on a back panel glue up.

IMG_3749_zpswtpk38fw.jpg

You just screw some blocks on any old scrap wood, to make a clamp or two to suit the work in hand. Cost = £0.00

Very nice, thanks for the picture

glynster":33wbw8z8 said:
I like to use these panel clamp heads - £16 for the hardware and then you use your own timber to make a clamp as long as you need it http://www.axminster.co.uk/york-panel-clamp-500008

I have the timber pre-drilled at regular intervals in various lengths - you can almost clamp any length

They seem simple enough, thanks for the tips,

I've just come across a Paul sellers video where he uses timber dogs; those also seem a cool and simple option.

LFS19":2u7fuas2 said:
I've just come across a Paul sellers video where he uses timber dogs; those also seem a cool and simple option.

Sure - but be warned they leave pretty hefty holes in the end grain...

You could also use a Spanish Windlass approach, or even rachet straps, if you took care to keep the workpieces flat while tightening them up.

Cheers, Paul

Back