Sale of goods.. etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I bought a battery charger on a well known online auction site in Jan. It expired last Sat.

I informed the vendor, who in broken english is giving me the runaround.

Today he offered me a £3 refund.

The item cost a little over £20 so it's not going to ruin me financially or out, but I would like what's due.

I reckon he should replace it, or if not able then provide a similar item or refund the dosh.

Am I expecting too much.?

If you paid using PayPal then Paypal Buyer Protection may be of help. This protection covers up to 180 days from the date of purchase.

Assuming it was brand new then its down to the seller to refund, repair or replace the item.

Adam9453":2w85upys said:
Assuming it was brand new then its down to the seller to refund, repair or replace the item.

It seems the op has already tried contacting the seller but is only being offered a partial small refund. So my suggestion is to bypass the seller and seek redress from PayPal (or eBay).

I agree roger, I was just re-assuring the OP that he is right about what he expecting

Adam9453":10mmb1dk said:
I agree roger, I was just re-assuring the OP that he is right about what he expecting

And has next to no chance of getting anything else through eBay or Paypal I suspect as it's after 45 days.

Wuffles":1pqhnrl3 said:
Adam9453":1pqhnrl3 said:

And has next to no chance of getting anything else through eBay or Paypal I suspect as it's after 45 days.
PayPal say you must "open a dispute within 180 days of purchase."

RogerP":2boitg5b said:
Wuffles":2boitg5b said:
Adam9453":2boitg5b said:

PayPal say you must "open a dispute within 180 days of purchase."

A Paypal dispute?

When they get wind of it being an eBay sale, they'll pass to to eBay, who aren't interested after this amount of time. Paypal specifically state reasons for a dispute through PayPal are:

- You don’t receive the item
- You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

If anyone knows differently, please do enlighten the rest of us who've been done outside the "Money Back Guarantee" time advertised.

So if ebay or paypal won't help is there anything else I can try. ?

artie":1yyeudsg said:
So if ebay or paypal won't help is there anything else I can try. ?

Strongly worded letter, threat of small claims, Trading Standards. All of them are going to cost you more in the long term then the shifty layabout has ignored all of that. From experience. Sorry.

B̶u̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶l̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶f̶a̶u̶l̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶u̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶s̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶.̶

The dispute term is basically the term they use as a complaint or issue with the transaction.
buyer protection service they offer gives you 180 days to complain whether its non receipt or if the goods are counterfeit, broken , or otherwise non satisfactory. they will pursue the seller for the funds and provide you with a refund.
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

you are also covered by your statutory rights, and the consumer protection act, however there has recently been an update in this legislation which at this moment in time , I'm not up to speed with off the top of my head.
hope this helps.
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... rights-act

How long was the "Guarantee" on the listing out of interest? Regardless of EU/UK legislation, I am curious what the listing said.

Wuffles":1zaepwqc said:
How long was the "Guarantee" on the listing out of interest? Regardless of EU/UK legislation, I am curious what the listing said.

I don't think a guarantee was mentioned on the listing.

I have been on the phone and as some of you expected, ebay and paypal won't help.

artie":14ew3q82 said:
Wuffles":14ew3q82 said:

I don't think a guarantee was mentioned on the listing.

I have been on the phone and as some of you expected, ebay and paypal won't help.

Sometimes they put it in the "Returns Policy" text at the bottom of the listing. Most of them try and get away with 30 days, I've even had one UK trader delay my questions regarding a broken item, saying the parts are due into stock soon. Strung me along just long enough for eBay to not be interested any more. He managed to get away with that. I threatened this that and the other, he ignored me and I knew I was in for a hiding if I bothered with Small Claims. Couple of recorded letters, Moneyclaim fees up front, all adds up.

I once watched a company down the road from me go into liquidation even though I had a default win at Small Claims - unenforceable by private bailiffs as it was under the threshold. Somebody I do not know at all went in there with a nail gun placed strategically on the dashboard of his Transit and managed to get exactly the amount of money I was owed and left it at the end of my drive. Stroke of luck that*

The private bailiffs explained to me that I was very very low down the list of people this joker owed money to. He was flogging stock privately on eBay, I even arranged through a false name to buy one of his vans "lose the VAT as it's cash" which I passed to every possible department I thought might be interested. Nobody was. Too busy chasing people who pay their taxes for a little bit more tax.

People eh.

*None of this happened.

There is PayPal dispute as mentioned but I also believe their is PayPal buyer protection? Worth looking at that? I believe with that they refund you and then get the funds back from the supplier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not much help in getting your money back but buy a "smart charger" from Lidl or Aldi for £30 with a 3 year guarantee and if it goes wrong they'll honour the guarantee.

Regards Keith

Back