Pompom Loom Hardware?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello :D My mum has asked for a Pompom Loom for her birthday, most of the ones I've seen are made from pretty rough timber with four inch nails, "Wash Nails" apparently. As it's a present, can anyone think of an alternative to using nails? I've thought of picture hooks, not the round ones :) but a simple screw in brass post with a small ball on top would fit the bill. Any suggestions would be appreciated :D

PS: From a few videos I've seen, the nails don't really stop the wool coming off, I think folk use them more for convenience.

Inoffthered":3m701zmr said:
How about brass rod cut to size? It would look smarter than nails and when polished up with a bit of wire wool with beveled ends and epoxied into the base.

It's certainly an idea, but I'd like brass balls to fit on top to finish it off :D There must be something that fits the bill!

How tall do the rods/nails/whatever have to be?

I'm thinking 'ball-headed screw' like you'd find in model armatures etc.

NazNomad":2lx5qey1 said:
How tall do the rods/nails/whatever have to be?

I'm thinking 'ball-headed screw' like you'd find in model armatures etc.

Apparently the nails used are 4 inch, but a ball headed screw sounds interesting, although you couldn't have any screw thread above the wood or it would
damage the wool.

lurker":2lx5qey1 said:
What about "wooden shaker pegs".
I bought some beech ones for a coat rack and they were so cheap it was pointless making my own.
I think they are available is a range of sizes

I suggested Shaker pegs to my mum but apparently they are too wide!

Appreciate the help gentlemen, please keep the ides coming, hopefully we'll hit on something :D

No idea, it was just a thought I had :-D

Also, ebony violin tuning pegs would work. Get a peg reamer for the holes and pull them out to release the rug?

NazNomad":1sfcmpuy said:
No idea, it was just a thought I had :-D

Also, ebony violin tuning pegs would work. Get a peg reamer for the holes and pull them out to release the rug?

I can't believe I gave you a "Thanks" and you don't know where to get them from :lol: Might be a bit expensive using ebony tuning pegs as I'll need
around 100!

Just throwing ideas out here ... Pieces of bamboo skewer with a coloured wooden bead glued on the end?

I could see it's off Alibaba :) Have no experience of using that site! My mum has just called as it happens, the posts have to be at least four inches above the wood, I can see why folk use nails!

Back