Routing!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnP2607

Reaction score
Hi, Folks.

I'm new to this forum and, to be honest, have joined because I'm seeking information about routing.

I've done all sorts of woodwork, over the years, but my son is buying a house and there looks to be a fair amount of work to do, including hanging doors etc. To that end I have invested in a Palm Router as I saw a 'How to' clip on YouTube and the ease of cutting out for fixing hinges. However, I don't know much about Router Cutters etc and am seeking advise ie what sort of cutter, where obtainable etc. Who knows but that I might even look to other projects!
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

John

What sort of cutter depends on what you are trying to do John.

http://www.routercutter.co.uk is who I use, everyone else will recommend Wealdon. If anyone recommends Silverline, block them, they're trying to hurt you.

Are you using a jig with a guide bush for hinges if they're all the same size? That makes it loads easier.

Trend do starter sets (being a palm, I assume it's 1/4") which are good value and an excellent place to start. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TREND-12-piec ... SwzvlW8~bz For example only.

From there on in Wealden http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Rou ... _1.htmlare as good as any. Their prices are fair for first quality cutters and their mail order is brilliant. People will steer you away from very cheap ones but there is an element of horses for courses here - if you get a cheap one to do a one off job, they can be fine but if you expect them to last forever you're delusional. I bought a set of four for £4, I needed one cutter for a twelve inch run. I bought a 1/2" core box from Wealden - its first job was ninety six metres of full depth groove. Pay good money for basic everyday cutters, you'll be using them for decades - but for one off little jobs take your chances.

For oddjobs (I. E. Cheap and fast wearing) I've found faithful ok. Draper do some too. If they're more common cutters, pay the money and get good ones.

Personally I'd steer clear of cheap router bits as if it disintegrates while spinning at thousands of rpm then you're likely to end up with some very painful wounds. Trend, Wealden you can't go wrong. Use Unknown or cheap bits at your peril

May i suggest you look up books by "Ron Fox". He has written some excellent tutorials about the router and is a great place to start learning in a plain and easy to understand style.

Hi, Folks.
Very much obliged for all the advise.
I do take the point about getting cutters that will last rather than give up after a while and also the emphasis on safety.
I have made another post, on a different part of the forum, in which I stated that I had ordered a 'Palm Router' which I believe I will need for cutting recesses for door hinges. I've also seen an interesting YouTube vid which shows one of these routers mounted on a DIY table and producing nice, albeit maybe a little limited, work.
I like the idea of the Ron Fox books, especially if they are kind to a beginner.
Coo, if I aren't careful I could easily find myself with a new hobby!!
Kind regards to all!
John

Back