Storing heating oil question??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
Hi guys

Currently I have a large metal tank which is rusting in lots of places so on its last legs, its also currently included inside the workshop i'm building, so to give it a few more years. just had a thought about using an IBC instead.

ibc-container-plastic-AUER--ibc1000p.jpg

one of these ^^^

A few reasons being I could move it out side the workshop, there cheap, and they have a smaller footprint.

are there any reasons or regulations for not doing this?

adidat

I dont see how there can be, your allowed to use them for storing fuel etc

adidat

Storage of domestic heating oil, types of tank and location are regulated by the local authority as far as I'm aware.

My metal tank is inside my garage which was allowed 40 years ago when the house was built but no longer and I'm fairly sure that new tanks have to be bunded.

Check with building control.

You can get a bund to stand an IBC on. I would check on the compatibility of heating oil against the plastic first. Good idea though !

The IBCs I've seen are usually for transport or short term storage. We've had some on our allotments for a few years - the polythene is OK but the taps and fittings don't last long.

Any new or replacement oil tank must be a bunded tank, not sure if the authorities can accept a tank within a
masonry outside "bunding" we were building 15 years ago.
Has to be 2 mtrs away from any combustibles fence,etc etc.
So the answer would be no
Rodders

I'm also assuming you have your heating oil delivered and pumped from tanker to your storage tank.
If so you might even find the delivery driver will refuse to fill your tank (because they can).

Back