bench vice brands?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which brands were recomended for a bench vice.

I've needed one for a while, just not sure which go for.

Thanks!

Second-hand UK made Record vices are good - generally better than the imported Irwin type. Look on Ebay, also sometimes for sale on here.

John

The biggest quick release old Record vice (about 50 years old) your bench and pocket can with stand. In 100 years, an old Record will be serving another whoes in love with wood with distinction

If you have any good car boots in your area then vintage vices can sometimes be had for a song. Also worth checking Gumtree or Preloved. I'm not in the UK but I peruse Gumtree periodically to see what's on offer and just last week there were four or five vices on sale, one even had a free bench attached :)

Woden is another good name to look out for.

Edit: just checked Gumtree and there's currently this chunky little number in York for £30, and this Paramo no. 61in Pontefract for just a tenner.

An idea of price? I recently sold a Record 52 1/2e and a Record 53e for £40 each. I did actually make a bit - I bought a huge old worm eaten beech bench for £30 with them both on. The bench kept me in firewood for a week, and I used the vices for ten years before I sold them on (moved house and no longer had room for 32' of workbench. :cry: )

+ 1 for the old record vices. They leave nothing wanting and plenty about second hand in the UK.

Well there's quite the range on price for what's being suggested here :lol:

Wow, thanks allot for the greet responses and all the links.
I'll go through and have a look - allot of brands and allot of places to look, so it seems I have my work cut out.

Thanks again!

If on your travels you happen to come across someone selling an emmert made vise and you can afford it buy it. it is the queen of woodworking vises in terms of versitility. They don't come around often but if you see one get it you wont regret it. if not any of the main makers pre war vices will be fine but try to get the biggest you can find

oops didn't see above post, my bad :roll:

Gumtree seems to be good for old record vices too if you dont mind a bit of refurbishment.

skippy75":2h1xsa5i said:
Gumtree seems to be good for old record vices too if you dont mind a bit of refurbishment.
+1
You'll sometimes find 'joblots' (always a worthwhile search term) on gumtree. Ypu can just buy the one of course not all of them. Great for you if you can find one locally, shame for the schools that are getting rid of them by the dozen.

Back