planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivor

Reaction score
I've had an Erbauer 052BTE planer thicknesser for about 2 yrs and it's been working great up until the other day when the piece of wood I put through the thicknesser kicked back and bent the chip breaker bar causing it to contact the blades with catastrophic consequences.
Now I'm not sure I've named that particular part correctly, but it's the curvey shaped bar that sits just before the blades and holds the wood down onto the bed of the thicknesser.
Please can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement part as I've tried Erbauer and Screwfix which sell the same machine under various badges with no luck. I've been looking in the for sale adds hoping someone had a broken down machine (motor burnt out ect) so I could strip it down for the part I need. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

I can't help with the part, but Erbauer is a screwfix own brand so they should be able to help.

Just found this.

Erbauer UK Ltd
Trade House,
Mead Avenue
BA22 8RT.
Spare parts / advice Tel no. 0845 607 6380.

I've tried the Erbauer parts number, it's the same one as in the instruction manual, says the number is no longer in use. Screwfix don't do spare parts, only replacement blades. Had a look at the link but it's not the same thing

It sounds like you have damaged the pressure bar, As you say there's no pics or help in the manual I found.
If you know someone in engineering it could be possible to have an exact copy pressure bar made, in size length, width
and thickness.
Should you take this route take plenty of pics and tape and mark pieces as you may find some difficulty trying to re assemble it a week or so later, make a note of spring tension and amount of thread showing.
The chip breaker is just below the cutter, and the wedge shaped blade retainer.
HTH Regards Rodders

http://www.lkctraining.co.uk/planerthic ... manual.pdf

Thanks to Rodders for putting me right on the "pressure bar" and Brian for the link to Clasohlson/Cotech planer, very similar to mine and a good selection of spare parts but no pressure bar. There must be a lot of these machines made exactly the same but under different names (bet they're all made in Asia) so will keep looking.
One question though, the planer blades chewed a 35mm wide lump out of the middle of the pressure bar, so if I re-fit it, will it still work. what if I happen to feed in a narrow piece of wood that happens to go through that gap (ie no pressure on wood) would it still work ok or will something go wrong?

If you can straighten the bar, and get some weld in the missing area, and grind /file it all smooth so it does not mark the timber and use it again.
If the welder man could clamp the repair area in a vice and let it cool, may help any distortion and possible twist.
HTH Regards Rodders

Thanks to all who chipped in to help with my problem, in the end I hammered the part straight, did a bit of filing, refitted it all back together again and ground and re-sharpened the blades.
The only fiddly bit was re-setting the thicknesser bed. So even with a lump missing from the middle of the pressure bar, the first few passes of timber through didn't seem to pose any problems, but time will only tell what would happen if I shoved through a narrow piece that exactly lined up with the gap in the middle.

Back