Electric storage heating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
We're in the process of selling up and downsizing. A number of the places we're looking at have electric storage heaters as they're 'off grid' in terms of mains gas.

Early research would appear to show that despite my initial misgivings it might not be quite as bad as I first thought. Even though it's the most expensive fuel by the time installation costs are factored in it might actually be cheaper than moving to oil or calor gas.

Does anybody have any experience of longer term running costs with modern heaters as opposed to other heating types?

Thanks

Basically it comes down to how much 1KW of heat costs from the various sources of fuel. This site gives you the latest figures. http://www.nottenergy.com/energy_cost_comparison/

Then you have to add in annual maintenance which for oil is about £100 for the service. Longevity of the heating devices is also a factor and I would guess that night-storage scored well on that. But then the downside is control or lack of with night storage but I'm basing that on old knowledge. I know there was a company heavily advertising on ClassicFM offering some form of electric heating.

Ground source heat pump? Solar panels to provide some of your electricity?

Mine are 2008, so not old, but I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. I know there are better designs, but I still wouldn't have them given the option. We have a small bungalow (bought 16 months ago) that had only n/s heating when we moved. Oil doesn't really come into the equation for cooking, so realistically it was only bottled gas - and we didn't really see much to justify central heating in a small place, so it would have been gas for cooking and water heating. Swmbo's parents had bottled gas for years, and it put her off. We had a brilliant multi fuel in our old Victorian house for 12 years, so we went down the same route again, only this time we went for one with a back boiler. We haven't as yet had the boiler fitted (it will retro fit - some won't) as we've spent too much too quickly. I have no doubt that it will heat the water without any difficulty and more cheaply than electricity (as I get so much fuel free :D ). The main downside as far as I can see and as far as everyone I've spoken to about night stores has said is that when you really want the heat, they will be stone cold. I would very seriously look at all other options. Some energy companies do an economy 10, which according to my electrician can suit well as it gives a daytime period of reduced rate electricity which allows your heaters to "catch up", but not all companies and you pay the price.The best thing about n/s heaters is that the bricks are brilliant for weighting your lathe down. :D

Got rid of them as soon as we came across them. Zero control and when you need the heat, usually in the evening, there ain't none! Horrible things - nice heavy bricks though :wink: :lol:

As phil.p and others have said, the heat just isn't there when you need it, with Storage heaters, I took ours out for the very reason, Rather a shame as the heat is clean and easy, in use and maintenance.
For most of us, Oil or solid fuel are more readily available and easier to use.
Gas isn't available in many homes, and LPG is very expensive to buy and store.
Rodders

Storage heaters are expensive to run and wont give you the heat when you need it, The most cost effective for running costs in you case will be oil and I would suggest an electric hob / oven the induction hobs are fantastic. LPG is very pricy. this is the option we have at home and although natural gas would be perfect you cant have it all!

I did once install an electric boiler which works well, it gives instant heat to traditional radiators and works like a "normal" gas/oil wet system but I only did this because the client had nowhere suitable for either gas bottles or oil tank

Thanks all, - pretty much as I feared!

We're not going to be in a position to spend a lot of dosh on a new heating system be it oil or calor so we're going to have to consider our options very carefully. I'm not sure her ladyship will easily give up her 'dream' location because of storage heaters and the implications of running costs.

Time will tell!

On the news the other day there was talk about "smart meters" the benefit to the consumer was cheap lecy off peak.
In some places you can already get Free electricity on Saturdays .........not sure how that works
Old folks here will remember "economy seven".

So maybe there will be a return to storage heaters in the future

I think that storage heaters were very popular (and/or heavily promoted) in the 70's and 80's. Your lifestyle is relevant (e.g. when the house is un/occupied during the day). They do work perfectly well, but as has been said, are at their lowest ebb when you're most likely to want a boost.

I think that the other fancier things like heatpumps etc. are all very well, but your money is very likely best spent on insulation and draughtproofing (plus, slightly perversely, ventilation) first - whatever heating method(s) you end up with.

We use oil for hot water, and for heating upstairs, and coal/wood for heating downstairs plus leccy for cooking (+1 for induction hob!). I'm still finding fat copper cables under the floor as a nice little bonus left over from when earlier occupiers had storage heaters here.

I think that LPG is probably the most expensive fuel to buy, followed by coal and oil (you also have little/no choice of supplier and they know that). Wood is cheap/free if you're lucky but generates a fair bit of extra work!

If you're concerned about your carbon footprint, then space-heating with mains electricity is about the least sensible option (so much energy gets wasted in generation/transmission).

One good option might be to keep the heaters for the time being and see how you get on with them, while at the same time looking at improving insulation/draughtproofing (this will save money over time in any event).

Cheers, W2S

You could have almost put money on it couldn't you?

The one we both really, really like is the one with storage heaters!

The good news is that there appears to be gas in the vicinity so good old fashioned GFCH is probably on the cards, - assuming we can afford the Kings ransom usually required for such deeds. Although I suspect at least one winter on the storage heaters given the financial aspect.

Second look and offer time tomorrow!

PS - the double garage, which will of course become a workshop, had absolutely no influence on the decision at all :D :D :D

IF, and it's a big if, the house is well insulated, there are some three period tariffs available, which give a couple of hours cheaper morning, dinner time and evening. SSE, while they were still Hydro, did one called Total User Control, which was fitted in our house when we bought it. It's acceptable but not brilliant. Might be a short term option if anyone will let you have it, but we now only use it for hot water and have woodburner plus small oil boiler. Insulation should be first priority, though.

An idea, although I have never had the opportunity or need to put into practice, is to install what are traditionally air conditioning units. A number of manufacturers now sell these for both heating and cooling applications, I assume simply by changing the gas compression/decompression cycle so that the internal unit (which circulates the air internally through a fan unit) is heated rather than cooled.

The main advantage is that most units work with an efficiency of 300%+ and would be far more efficient than using electricity to simply power fan heaters or oil filled radiators (100% efficient??). They apparently work down to -20 degrees, possibly not so good for the Scottish highlands, but fine for the rest of us. A single external unit can run multiple internal units if capacity is large enough, and installation internally involves a 13A power supply and a small supply and return pipe to the external unit.

I think the cost is probably very competitive with other form of central heating and internal units are individually controllable - possibly with timers etc.

Good luck

Terry

Back