UK Stanley Planes...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iNewbie

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend asked me a question: regarding UK Stanley bench planes, which models were made/sold here from their usa counterparts. Bench planes running from 1 - 8. (5 1/4 too?)

I know one of you gents will be on the ball.

Many thanks!

I think the #3 through #7, excluding the #5 1/4 were made here. The #1 & #2 were only made in the US. I'm not 100% sure but I always thought the #8 was also only made in the US.

I believe Memzey is right. No.1 & No.2 weren't made in UK, and I've asked the question on here before and no one could produce evidence of a UK made Stanley No.8 (although Stanley UK did make replacement irons for the No.8 - as did Clifton). I'm less sure on the No.5¼.

Stanley UK also made a No.10 jack rabbet, and No.10½ smooth rabbet, but not the No.10¼ jack rabbet with the tilty handles.

Cheers, Vann.

A batch of #5-1/4's was made here in the 1970's (I assume for the US market) but never seen an #8 that was UK made

Hatherton_wood":gjj33g0t said:
A batch of #5-1/4's was made here in the 1970's...
Thanks for that - it adds to the pool of knowledge. Did you work for Stanley UK, or buy one of the 5 1/4's?

Cheers, Vann.

Back