waterproofing wooden vases for flowers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Doubtless this has surfaced before but....

I've been asked to make turned vases for table decorations at a family wedding and they'll have oasis (that green stuff that holds water and flower stems in place) in them. Obviously they need to be water proof so I've been inserting baked bean or sweet corn tins. Is there any finish that will render them completely water proof? I seem to recall discussion about a rustins product that might do it???

Rustins plastic coating is what you're thinking of. A few coats of that will waterproof the wood.

Treatex is reputed to be waterproof too but the manufacturers say it isn't suitable for outdoor use so perhaps it isn't as waterproof in the long term. For a one day event long term probably isn't so important!

Germans use a special kind of pitch - for woodturning, but mostly for waterproofing wooden beer barrels.

Some hints here (in German)

it should explain itself. One thing to know is that the pitch is hot enough if 'it spits back' if you spit into it.
BTW: Don't heat it over an open fire or risk a big open fire....

Could paint the inside with yacht primer and then a yacht paint colour of your choice? Or the yacht vanish, it works on sea going norfolk beach boats (made of oak) so don't see flowers being an issue. Essentially look through the boat finishes, of there are quite few I know from my short time spent on the boatyard, so least one will do for your vases....

Edit: I think the vanish they used in the boatyard was rustins

West system resin as used for boat building would also do the trick.

I use the plasticote on all my goblets and haven't had any problems yet after a good few years. I even tried it on some saki bowls I di and filled with boiling water and it didn't seem to have any effect. It is also alchohol resistant.

Pete

Rhyolith":44399fvy said:
Could paint the inside with yacht primer and then a yacht paint colour of your choice? Or the yacht vanish,

Just a thought but wouldn't that be designed to stop things growing on it, maybe not great for flowers ?

Latest posts

Back