Which new chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBcarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to treat myself to a new set of chisels, looking a a few different offerings but not sure which one to go for been looking at the Veritas pmv 11, lie Nielsen socket chisels and some Japanese chisels ( not real high end ones) all are around the same sort of money (around £250 for a set of 5) are any of you guys using any of these chisels and what are your thoughts? or using something else that is of nice quality for the same sort of money?

Was also looking at the Ashley iles mk2 cabinet makers chisels which are slightly cheaper but still look nice qaulity

It's all about the steel and what you want to do with it. If you are doing timber framing in green oak you will want something that is resistant and preferably doesn't rust in the blink of an eye, but the ultimate edge will be less important, and for this modern tool steels are excellent. If you are into fine cabinet making then a super sharp egde thath will not dull in a trice will be important. I tend to the latter and love my Japanese chisels. I have some very exxpensive ones but also some Iyorois which which are almot as good, if not so aesthetically pleasing. I think the LNs may be A2 steel which I hve personally found to be variable in durability (sometimes crumbly edges) and does not take a really good edge in plane irons. I also have only plane iron experience of Veritas PM V11 but it takes a better edge which is very long lasting. I suspect that I would also be very happy with chisels made from it as an excellent compromise for general use.

Jim

I have six or seven Ashley Iles mk2 chisels and cannot fault them. Although if I had the money I would have bought the Veritas chisels.

I've been in a similar position myself looking at the exact same chisel options.

Of all the reviews I've read the Veritas chisels seem to have the edge (no pun intended), but of course they are the more expensive option.

Will be watching this to help me decide as well.

Well....I have about a dozen LN socket chisels (bench and mortice) and consider them to be excellent (less so for mortice) for the general carpentery and fairly fine work that I do (or aspire to). I am a bit of a hand tool sharpening obsessive and have had no issues with edge durability or retention. The finish and trueness (flat backs etc) is excellent I have a couple of Veritas chisels and think they are equally as good as the LN as tools, but not quite as well finished. I have a number of old chisels from eBay including the original Stanley pattern on which LN are based, and they work fine too. I have some ancient plastic handled Footprint chisels that I still use and they are fine.

Honestly, a chisel is a simple tool and if you are willing to put a bit of work into the edge almost anything will do the job if the steel is half decent. So aesthetics plays a part and that is why I bought the LN. You can choose the steel still I believe if you are prepared to wait a little while.

Japanese chisels handle differently in my much more limited experience, but I have quite a few Japanese tools and would be happy with them as well, especially if the finish is good.

In real life what do I use most? My old Footprints that my dad bought me. For fine work I use only the LN. mainly because I like the geometry and can get a very fine durable edge with a secondary bevel. The handles are comfortable for me but some find them too small I believe.

Have a look on Classic Hand Tools - they have a good range and descriptive explanations of the differences.

Meant to add. Tried Narex. Excellent value for money. Cheap and nasty handles though so if that matters you would need to turn some new ones. I use mine (or rather abuse them) on green oak with a hammer. They take a lot of punishment as there is a lot of metal and hefty handles that you won't mind hurting.

Looked at Blue Spruce Toolworks and drooled over these expensive chisels. Too beautiful to use, so I didn't buy any! probably will one day. The handles are far nicer than anyone else's and the standard of finish is exceptional. So is the price. But....in practice you probably only use 2 or 3 chisels a lot, so maybe just buy the ones you use most rather than sets.

Thanks for all the replies guys, yeah I have a full set of marples split proof chisels I'v have for 20 years (actual marples not Irwin) which I use on a daily and will continue to do so, but I'm looking for some nice chisels for bench work mainly, I'v handled the lie Nielsen and veritas chisels and both seemed nice and I have also read good reviews for both but I like the looks of the veritas over the LN on an aesthetic level only but the steel of the Japanese chisels (white paper) seems to be the ultimate for taking and edge (again only from reviews I'v read) and the Ashley iles are more budget friendly but again have some good write ups so I'm still not sure which way to go.

AJB Temple":3b6yebh1 said:
Meant to add. Tried Narex. Excellent value for money. Cheap and nasty handles though so if that matters you would need to turn some new ones. I use mine (or rather abuse them) on green oak with a hammer. They take a lot of punishment as there is a lot of metal and hefty handles that you won't mind hurting.

Looked at Blue Spruce Toolworks and drooled over these expensive chisels. Too beautiful to use, so I didn't buy any! probably will one day. The handles are far nicer than anyone else's and the standard of finish is exceptional. So is the price. But....in practice you probably only use 2 or 3 chisels a lot, so maybe just buy the ones you use most rather than sets.

Yeah I'v looked at the blue spruce chisels also but there a bit rich for me, beautiful chisels with the Curley maple handles but as you say maybe to nice to use.
I'v looked on the classic tools site before some nice stuff on there, the Japanese bench chisels they stock look real nice but a nearer the £100 each mark.

I've had a set of the Ashley Iles for about 4 or 5 years? or whenever the Mk II 's surfaced. They are a very accurately made chisel at a very good price. They have an expensive feel about them and the lands are fine. Hard to fault them really. I use them pretty much every single day.

My main bench chisels have been for years a set of Iyorois. To me rather good quality. Easy to sharpen and good edge holding capability. Now I've got a set of Veritas PM-V 11 ones for about 2 years. The edge holding capability of these is better - and they can be sharpened to a keen edge easily. Compared to the Japanese ones, the LV chisels are standing out with their very little lands. While dovetailing this feature is shining bright. When I got them I was reluctant to use them for harder chopping work because the handles aren't reinforced with ferrules at the top. No issue at all however. The heat treated handles stand hard chopping work with ease as I found out. I still like the Iyorois but my mainly used bench chisels now are the LV ones without any doubt.

Klaus

MIGNAL":1scvocqh said:
I've had a set of the Ashley Iles for about 4 or 5 years? or whenever the Mk II 's surfaced. They are a very accurately made chisel at a very good price. They have an expensive feel about them and the lands are fine. Hard to fault them really. I use them pretty much every single day.

They look nice chisels, David Barron furniture recommends them as a great value dovetailing chisel too

Klaus Kretschmar":1dsagiiq said:
My main bench chisels have been for years a set of Iyorois. To me rather good quality. Easy to sharpen and good edge holding capability. Now I've got a set of Veritas PM-V 11 ones for about 2 years. The edge holding capability of these is better - and they can be sharpened to a keen edge easily. Compared to the Japanese ones, the LV chisels are standing out with their very little lands. While dovetailing this feature is shining bright. When I got them I was reluctant to use them for harder chopping work because the handles aren't reinforced with ferrules at the top. No issue at all however. The heat treated handles stand hard chopping work with ease as I found out. I still like the Iyorois but my mainly used bench chisels now are the LV ones without any doubt.

Klaus
Thanks for your view on the pmv11's these are also very nice chisels I'm a bit spoils for choice

I have the Ashley Iles chisels and like them a lot. I prefer my Robert Sorby boxwood handled ones (they are just about the only chisels to come with nice carver pattern boxwood handles) because the handles are bigger and the edge holding capability is just as good if not better.

Having handled but not used the LN and LV ones I don't think you will disappointed with any of the choices you have listed.

Biliphuster":kchg0kfi said:
I have the Ashley Iles chisels and like them a lot. I prefer my Robert Sorby boxwood handled ones (they are just about the only chisels to come with nice carver pattern boxwood handles) because the handles are bigger and the edge holding capability is just as good if not better.

Having handled but not used the LN and LV ones I don't think you will disappointed with any of the choices you have listed.

Thanks for the input I think the veritas chisels are in the lead at the min.

MBcarpentry":26rkwd0p said:
Looking to treat myself to a new set of chisels, looking a a few different offerings but not sure which one to go for been looking at the Veritas pmv 11, lie Nielsen socket chisels and some Japanese chisels ( not real high end ones) all are around the same sort of money (around £250 for a set of 5) are any of you guys using any of these chisels and what are your thoughts? or using something else that is of nice quality for the same sort of money?

In my opinion, it comes down to what you want the chisels to do and how you like to do this.

For example, Japanese bench chisels have the best steel - even the mediocre ones hold a sharp edge longer than just about any Western chisel. However they are designed to be used with a steel hammer (gennou). There are Japanese paring chisel (slicks) which are pushed, but then they are never struck. Further, most Japanese bench chisels are not designed for dovetailing. However you can find some that are. I've been using Koyamaichi dovetail chisels for at least 10 years, and they are superb at edge holding and beautifully made for their price (about the same as a LN or LV chisel).

Of the Western chisels, the ones I most use are the PM-V11 Veritas bench chisels. There hold an edge extremely well - not quite as long as the Koyamaichi, but twice or three times that of any A2 chisel. Importantly, they are well balanced and comfortable in the hand, may be pushed or hit, and are superb with dovetails.

I've used the LN on occasions, and have a set of old Stanley #750s from which they came. I did not like the Stanley/LN handle, and made my own longer handles. While I consider the comfort when using a chisel more important than the steel, per se, I work with hard woods and the steel becomes important as well. For this reason, the A2 of LN would be an issue. I have a set of Blue Spruce detail/dovetail chisels in A2, and they hardly get used anymore. Yet they have the finest handles I have used. The BS are light, however, and this will polarise users.

Regards from Perth

Derek

MBcarpentry":3oxhje6l said:

In my opinion, it comes down to what you want the chisels to do and how you like to do this.

For example, Japanese bench chisels have the best steel - even the mediocre ones hold a sharp edge longer than just about any Western chisel. However they are designed to be used with a steel hammer (gennou). There are Japanese paring chisel (slicks) which are pushed, but then they are never struck. Further, most Japanese bench chisels are not designed for dovetailing. However you can find some that are. I've been using Koyamaichi dovetail chisels for at least 10 years, and they are superb at edge holding and beautifully made for their price (about the same as a LN or LV chisel).

Of the Western chisels, the ones I most use are the PM-V11 Veritas bench chisels. There hold an edge extremely well - not quite as long as the Koyamaichi, but twice or three times that of any A2 chisel. Importantly, they are well balanced and comfortable in the hand, may be pushed or hit, and are superb with dovetails.

I've used the LN on occasions, and have a set of old Stanley #750s from which they came. I did not like the Stanley/LN handle, and made my own longer handles. While I consider the comfort when using a chisel more important than the steel, per se, I work with hard woods and the steel becomes important as well. For this reason, the A2 of LN would be an issue. I have a set of Blue Spruce detail/dovetail chisels in A2, and they hardly get used anymore. Yet they have the finest handles I have used. The BS are light, however, and this will polarise users.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for that info Derek, I am now leaning more and more towards the veritas pmv11 chisels, but am still interested in the Japanese bench style chisels which are struck with hammers can you tell me where you picked up the Koyamaichi chisels from?

The "problem" with my Japanese chisels is that they are very hard. They tend to chip more readilly then my vintage western chisels. As long as they don't chip, the edge last indeed very long. But it is a bit of a pain when you must grind out nicks from the edge. In Japanese tool lore it is of course "not done" to grind the steel with a bench grinder, but I am quite relaxed about that. Saves a lot of time on the stones.

Also, I think the Japanese chisles favor to be sharpened on waterstones, and I moved to oilstones, which is a less then ideal combination too.

Back