New lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard J

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Again.

On the back of last nights comments. If I am looking for a heavier lathe with big bowl turning option, what in anyone's opinion, would be the best to buy? Don't mind older lathe if it's better!! Or are some of the new ones ok? I only do a bit, but can some days do three or four hours, some only an hour. Budget up to 600quid. I have sorby chucks etc, so adaptors are readily available.
Richard

For that money, keep your eye out for a CL4. They are a little primitive (they've just been discontinued after however many decades), but for what you wish to spend and wish to do, it's probably as good as anything. (and that's advice from someone who doesn't like the things :) )

You could do what I did and go for a Viceroy. I don't think it is as good as the graduate but it is solid and beefy with a good capacity. My only gripe is the outboard spindle thread - 1 1/4 x 9 ??? I paid £300 including rests, one faceplate, 3 jaw metalworking chuck and revolving tail centre. You wouldn't get a graduate for anywhere near that price, not even twice the price.
One good feature of the graduate though, apart from solidly built, is both sides of the spindle are the same (1 1/2 x 6) and my Axminster evolution chuck has left and right hand thread so fits either side.
I still like my ML8 though.

K

I've just started with a CL3. They are very good value. Much heavier than I expected so are stable even on a rocky stand (which I've got!). £200 for a goodun 2nd hand, leaves you with cash for all the other bits you'll need.

I started on a CL2 which was a nice machine to start with. I then upgraded it with an inverter, three phase motor, and a separate control box which can be positioned conveniently near to where I'm standing to turn. It comfortably turned 12 inches over the bed but I also upgraded it to include the bowl turning end - giving up to 30 inches with the headstock swivelled. The biggest item I turned was a 14 inch ash platter which it handled remarkably well.
I tried selling it for under £600 and still have it...

Many thanks to all who posted help about choosing a lathe.
I went to see the Viceroy lathe today, and bought it. It's so heavy and solid that for me it was a no brainer
The guy put in chucks, face plates, 30 plus chisels (sorby and record) and loads of other stuff. Plus some huge 16" square blanks, (8x4 iforwilliams trail full) and a load of other blanks including some exotic stuff.
I ran it on site, and was shocked how smooth it was compared to my Cumquats Elu.
Many thanks to Rob for all his input, and big apologies that I didn't buy his!!!
I just didn't think the CL4 was heavy enough for what I wanted.
Behemoth Rob. That is what it is, without a shadow of a doubt!!!!!
Just under 300 kilo behemoth!!!
Many thanks again.

Richard

PS what is the really lovely red African wood called?

Back