Bog standard centres for stud walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
To all you pro chippys out there

What is the normal distance between stud centres for a wall bearing no load, just plasterboard as per the above please? The house in question was built in 2007 so unless there's been a recent change in building regs it should be whatever is current.

And does anyone have any faith in those electronic stud finding gizmo's? (Trying to avoid the analogue method of poking a bradawl in every 2 inches!)

Thanks

as said above, 600mm is the norm, my bosch stud, water pipes and cable finder is very good (and not expensive).
You should be able to easily tell where the studs are just by knocking on the wall itself though.

Timber Stud was either 3x2,@ 16" centres and 3/8" plasterboard, Or 4x2, @ 24"centres and 1/2" plasterboard,
Or a mix, the smaller builder or developer chopped and changed a bit on a site.
You can tell by the door linings, either 4" or 5-1/4" usually.(100mm or 131mm)
As you have a 2007 build date and if it was built by a bigger builder, Redrow, Barrets etc, you could be looking at metal stud @ 600 centres,
Using a decent stud finder, You'll probably feel the metal stud all the way, down, not just the screw or nail heads.
Rodders

Thanks Rodders, but I had it built myself by a small builder. The studs were 3x2 (I think) and I have photographs of the layout before we installed the wallboard which was 1/2" (I still have some of the offcuts). The only thing I don't have is the measurements. I will check the door linings though.

By the way, this is all related to wanting to hang an incredibly heavy mirror that SWMBO has recently acquired on a shopping trip. I've never trusted those hollow wall fixings so want to make certain the fixings are in the studs

Get yourself a decent magnet Bob, it's easy to find the plasterboard screws or nails in the studs which are usually set at 600 or 400mm centres as a standard board is 1200 wide

If the mirror absolutely has to go in one place, you could remove a section of plasterboard and fix noggins for the mirror hangings and the plasterboard replacement, or fix noggins in the stud from the wall behind and keep the mirror area tidy.
You could even make a fancy backing for the mirror, in mdf, or timber, it would help in getting a decent fixing for the ground or backing, and cover up the noggin work and replaced plasterboard.
In many years of dry lining and fixing problems, the best fixings I have used are those in the link below.
Used and fixed carefully they will take an excellent "shear", downward load, as in a mirror, aided by Gripfill, a good combination, but ensure the painted surface is sound.
I use the screwdriver bit as a centre locating drill, bang on centre and careful not to overscrew.
Regards Rodders
http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-self- ... pack/3685h

Personally all the stud work I do 100 X 50 timber with 400mm centres, check out the toggler fixings (snap toggler) they are really excellent for heavy stuff.

Random Orbital Bob":341i8953 said:
By the way, this is all related to wanting to hang an incredibly heavy mirror that SWMBO has recently acquired on a shopping trip. I've never trusted those hollow wall fixings so want to make certain the fixings are in the studs

No idea where your studs are Bob, but shout if you need an extra hand or two when it comes to putting it up :D .

Terry.

I've never done 600 centres 400 every time even with thicker plasterboard. But I did'nt do site work where they cut corners on cost. :!:

FWIW, I would work backwards from what the plasterboard needs. From memory, the British Gypsum 'white book' says that 12mm plasterboard needs max. 400 spacing. Cheers, W2S

PS there's nothing worse than an under-specified, flimsy, stud wall IMHO

Woody2Shoes":393ccqh9 said:
FWIW, I would work backwards from what the plasterboard needs. From memory, the British Gypsum 'white book' says that 12mm plasterboard needs max. 400 spacing. Cheers, W2S

PS there's nothing worse than an under-specified, flimsy, stud wall IMHO
There is - an underspecified, flimsy lath and plaster wall. :D

Back