Bandsaw help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemsby

Established Member
Reaction score
My bandsaw has decided to be sleepy on startup :(

It only turns very slowly when started, and refuses to get to speed.

If I slacken the motor drive belt start the motor it spins freely then I slowly engage the drive belt the blade rotates at normal speed and the saw operates perfecty under cutting load. Stop the machine and it starts slowly again.

With the drive belt removed and the motor running it is not possible to stop the motor using a piece of wood wedged against the motor pulley as a brake.

The motor and blade can be rotated without resistance by hand so bearings seem fine =D>

My guess is the capacitor is on the blink but thought I would ask for confirmation in case I have missed something else #-o .

Any thoughts please

Hi,

It is an EB 315/4 Year 1998 Probably the original capacitor & Motor.

Any suggestions for a good source for a replacement capacitor :?: I could send photo’s to ensure I give the correct info :idea:

Motor Plate

Capacitor

Whatever you do, don't look to the manufacturer for a spare. This will be over priced.

Instead search on ebay for "motor run capacitor" (yes I know it a starting cap but you need an ac rated capacitor) and "16mfd" and choose one with 450v or higher. Usually there will be a choice between ones with flying leads and ones with spade tags, some with a mounting stud (M8) or not.
Should only be a few quid and little or no postage.

Check dimensions if space is tight.

Hi

I had exactly the same problem. I got another capacitor from Power Tool Supplies at a reasonable price.

Mike

Thanks for the replies.

Working fine now.

Managed to buy an identical replacement capacitor, same make etc. Possibly could have bought a cheaper version but as the original had been in use probably since 1998 thought this may last as long :eek: :eek: . Was only £11.49 from ebay incl fast delivery and helpful seller.

Myfordman":3b2racui said:
Whatever you do, don't look to the manufacturer for a spare. This will be over priced.

Instead search on ebay for "motor run capacitor" (yes I know it a starting cap but you need an ac rated capacitor) and "16mfd" and choose one with 450v or higher. Usually there will be a choice between ones with flying leads and ones with spade tags, some with a mounting stud (M8) or not.
Should only be a few quid and little or no postage.

Check dimensions if space is tight.

What a cracking piece of advice!

Back