Applying water based lacquer. Roller, brush or foam pad?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I usually spray my water based finishes, but it's time consuming setting up the sprayer, extractor just to spray a couple of very small clock faces. I have tried using a foam roller, but that just leaves loads of bubbles on the surface and I wonder if anyone has a way of achieving a great finish by hand?

Thanks

I use a short pile roller to get the finish on quickly, then brush out with a good synthetic brush - Omega Orel , Da vinci 5040, Purdy glide elite. A little Floetrol can help if you are getting tramlines
Matt

Shrubby":vkci140s said:
I use a short pile roller to get the finish on quickly, then brush out with a good synthetic brush - Omega Orel , Da vinci 5040, Purdy glide elite. A little Floetrol can help if you are getting tramlines
Matt
Many thanks Matt. I have some Floetrol, but could do with getting a decent brush. I'll pick one up and give your method a try.

flanajb":pwi5vwgq said:
mikefab":pwi5vwgq said:
I've had success brushing it on (Mylands self cross linking water based lacquer)
Do you see brush strokes or does it flatten out nicely?
Flattens out nicely most of the time. A bit of wet and dry between coats can be used if necessary

Back