Bandsaw Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjohnsonuk

Reaction score
Long time lurker here, and normally I can avoid bothering everyone by digging up posts that have been answered before with the search function, this time my prescience problem seems to have fallen between the gaps a little.

I'm looking to buy the best bandsaw I can afford up to around the £500 mark.

Having done some research I think I have narrowed it down to:
Record Power BS300e
Axminster 350N (yes I know that stretches my budget a bit)

I'm looking to use it as a general workhorse in the workshop. I have a cheapy table saw which cuts my thin stock (just about) fine, however everything else I plan to send to the new bandsaw. I cut black for wood carving, make some furniture (smallish boxes and midsized cabinets and small tables) however would like to venture and try a few other bits of woodworking.

Any extra advise or deals on machines to look at, or comments on either of those machine would be great.

Obviously an immediate call to Tuffsaws for blades will occur as soon as I purchase a machine
Thanks for your help

J

I bought the axminster 350N just last month. Its a very good bandsaw, and with the right blade should do most of what you ask of it. My one complaint (which I have been in discussion with axminster about) is the dust extraction. There are two x 4" (100mm) ports. The bottom one on the wheel cabinet is almost useless due to the plate welded across it. I would ignore this and just use the vacuum to clean out the cabinet at the end of each working week.
The top angled port needs a BIG extraction system to make it work properly. My 62mm pipework with a sip vacuum is not man enough. After my complaint to axminster, they sent me a video of one working in the shop. There was a very big two bag extractor unit with only 2 metres of hose to the angled port which collected all dust..
As I said, apart from the dust collection issue, its a really good piece of kit.

I' bought a pre-owned BS300 with "wheeled stand" and love it. I have no experience of any other one though so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask. Just thought I'd chip in as a happy owner of one of the ones you're considering.

Hi Jack, if you are using the bandsaw commercially, a 'Trade' bandsaw from Axminster will be fully guaranteed, but other guarantees would be limited if you use it commercially, so do check this out if you are buying new.

Although I do like the Record bandsaw I have, the guarantee would be reduced if I used it as my working income rather than as a hobby, whereas the Axminster would retain full guarantee if you see what I mean.

Back