coronet number 1 lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markslathe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,im new to the forum and very new to wood turning,i have acquired a coronet number 1 lathe (green) morse1 and 3/4, 16 tpi,
The problem i have is with the spindle in the head stock which you screw your chuck onto,it was fine for a few days then it has gone off cent re,and it is very difficult to screw chuck onto the threads,it looks like the threads are damaged,

Is there any way to repair this,i have just bought a new chuck and do not want to damage it by forcing it onto the thread,there is a thread cover with it so as not to damage the threads,but they have somehow still got damaged,

If it cannot be fixed,is there a method of removing this part and replacing? any info at all would be appreciated,thanks.

Is it possible to post a photo (you may need 10 posts to do this to beat the anti-spam protection).

It is possible to dress / re-cut the threads but I'm more concerned with the off centre comment. The spindle in the headstock is now off centre or the chuck mis-aligns when preseted to the headstock?

Do you know if this lathe has roller bearings or bronze bushings (is there an oil drip cup on the top of the front / back of the feedstock)?

S

Mod Edit:- images of suitable pixel size can be attached on forum server, off site url references need 3 posts to clear spam trap, see methods at top of forum.

Hi svb,thanks for the reply,there isn't an oil drip cup,i think they are brass bearings,when i say "out of sink,balance" what i mean is,once the chuck has been threaded onto the spindle,it wont go all the way on,and the chuck itself has millimeters of lateral movement if i pull it upwards,this causes unbalance i think,

i have been using the lathe for a few days now and the chuck was going straight onto the spindle no problems at all,as was the protective collar,but now it is very hard to get even the protective collar on let alone the chuck,i have to really tighten very hard onto the threads using a handle on the chuck and an adjustable spanner on the "flat part" of the spindle nearest the head stock.neither the chuck nor the cover will screw fully onto the thread? sorry mate im not explaining it very well but hope you get what im saying?

Hi

A few things to check:

Does the chuck have an insert to adapt it to the spindle thread? - if so is the insert fully secured in the chuck

Is the chuck thread damaged? - if so it may be possible to dress it

Is the chuck thread correct for the lathe?

Is there debris in the chuck thread preventing full engagement?

Is the lathe spindle thread damaged? - if so it may be possible tom dress it, if not Record Power can supply a replacement spindle.

From your description it sounds like the chuck is cross threaded onto the spindle - find out before you do any more damage.

Regards Mick

markslathe":7rucw7gf said:
i have been using the lathe for a few days now and the chuck was going straight onto the spindle no problems at all,as was the protective collar,but now it is very hard to get even the protective collar on let alone the chuck,i have to really tighten very hard onto the threads using a handle on the chuck and an adjustable spanner on the "flat part" of the spindle nearest the head stock.neither the chuck nor the cover will screw fully onto the thread? sorry mate im not explaining it very well but hope you get what im saying?

When you say protective collar do you mean the ejector ring? This is black (at least mine is on my number 3) and came with the lathe when you bought it or is this some kind of protective collar for the chuck itself?

If your ejector ring doesn't fit either then the thread has failed. I'm intrigued to know how the damage occurred though...

Hi again,thanks for the replies,very much appreciated.
Spindle---It is the lathe thread that is damaged,today i ran a very fine file around the thread removing tiny amounts of the thread to make it "round again", i have managed to thread both the chuck and protective collar onto it a bit easier than yesterday.

blackrodd---Thanks for the link appreciated mate,will have a read.

Doris----when i say protective collar,i mean the collar that has two adaptations,it works as a protective collar,and can be used to get the spindle out when tightened/turned apparently.the reason i "think" the spindle got damaged is that i was turning a 10 inch candle stick or trying to,i didn't have the tail end against the other end,so only chuck holding one end,i think the chuck became loose and forwarded a few threads and i didn't notice this until play became obvious during turning,there is only about half inch length of threads on the spindle itself,so a few threads would put a lot of pressure on the spindle.

Anyway,i haven't had a chance to try it out yet,but will tomorrow and let everyone know if it is fixed,ok im new so will make these silly mistakes. thanks all for replies.

Back