Spraying internal corners of a cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm making an enclosed rack of shelves to sit on a desk, which is just a rectangular frame with MDF shelves rebated into it. Clearance between the shelves is around 15cm. Edges are prepped, whole thing is primed, etc.

Now, I'd really like to spray this to get a good finish, but I've never tried spraying something with internal corners. What's the best way to go about doing this - I assume my best option is spray in at an angle from the front, rotate it (it's open backed), and do the same from the rear, to cover each shelf whilst maintaining nozzle-subject distance.

Any sage advice?

Thanks.

It is very difficult to achieve a full wet coat without catching the front edges with too many passes and getting runs.

An open back makes a big difference, you stand more chance. (no chance with a back).

I guess you are using a cup gun, gravity fed perhaps, if so the gun will have to stay fairly upright.

I assume the shelving unit is wider than tall? If so you could start with the unit upright and spray the internal ends between each shelf, front and back. Narrow spray fan and trigger on/off may help.

You could then put the unit on its side, turn the spray cap 90 degrees and spray the now vertical faces of the shelf.

Of course moving the unit depends on whether you can screw on some hooks or eyes to allow handling.

You may want to spray light mist coats and rub back, it might be really difficult to spray all the inside and out keeping a wet edge and avoiding too many passes or overspray hitting areas that are flashing off.

Thanks Robin for such a detailed reply :).

I was going to use car spray paint having read up a bit - most people seem to achieve great results with it so I'll follow their lead.

You're right in that it's wider than it is tall - 1.1m wide and 63cm tall, but split into 20/20/10/10 sections approx.

I can get around the handling issue by having it in the middle of my workshop and doing the exterior faces last, that way I can just manhandle it as I see fit.

Your suggestion of very light coats was were my thinking was going already - I only have to paint it once, so I may as well exhibit some patience!

By car spray paint, are you meaning rattle cans? If so you want to avoid turning the can upside down in case of paint starvation, so aim for your workflow to keep the can fairly upright.

It is a fair size unit, you may struggle with overspray onto areas that are already flashed off. You could spray all the inside and front edges, then mask off back and spray external faces working from the rear.thats if the rear face is unseen.

I hadn't thought of that, nice idea, thanks!

Am I using the right tool for the job here? I just can't see myself getting a decent finish with a brush.

Unfortunately ive not used a rattler for many many years so dont know how good a finish you will get.

They only sprsy a very thin coat so you need a few coats. The problem maybe on the outside where you have quite large areas, you might struggle to avoid striping due to the small fan shape

If you're using a spray gun, reduce the pressure, close down the fluid tip and wind the fan control down to "spot". Start at the inside of the corner and aim so the lower 30 % of the "spot" is in the corner.
Paint one side of the corner. Do the same for the other side of the corner.
Leave that corner and move on to the next. Finish all the corners and adjust gun back to half full fan and open slightly more the fluid tip. Spray the panels between the corners. Repeat for your following coats.
It is easier to do than explain.

Interesting, didn't know that. I'll have a go with normal rattle cans and then post pictures. Even if it's a failure there will be some learning from it!

Back