Help / Advice needed Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benney

Reaction score
Hi, I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction please. I am renovating two guitar amps by recovering them. I will try to give a much detail as I know.
One is made from MDF the other is Birch ply. Both are made by Vox. I have problem /issue I have is that the front speaker board in both is put in from front, then guled on to battens, which in turn are glued to all four sides of the cabinet. Finished, the speaker board is set back about 1/2". Around the speaker board is vinyl piping and on the front odd the board is the grill cloth and tolex covering, none of this I want to risk damaging as the speaker boards are in good condition. Once these are out I can then strip the sides, top and bottom and will be able to wrap the new tolex around the front edges of the cabinet, and then replace the front this time with screws as per the Vox Service manuals for these amps. I had thought of using a oscillating saw from my "Multi-Tool" to cut them out but I don't want to risk damaging the piping etc at the rear, and this would also set the boards slightly back further, (not good). Any help would be appreciated in getting these boards out with damaging the mounts or boards, many thanks in anticipation. :D :D

Use multi tool from the back and carefully cut the battens away from the carcass, then remove front piece in one

Hi Benney,

Are these Vox combo's vintage or modern?. Only asking because the cost of renovating will be wasted potentially whichever way? Old ones worth more in original condition (I'd have thought) and new, modern ones, not worth the effort?

Plug in a nice instrument, wind volume to "Eleven" and enjoy!

Cheers

Andrew

Austinisgreat":20wxd1l5 said:
Hi Benney,

Are these Vox combo's vintage or modern?. Only asking because the cost of renovating will be wasted potentially whichever way? Old ones worth more in original condition (I'd have thought) and new, modern ones, not worth the effort?

Plug in a nice instrument, wind volume to "Eleven" and enjoy!

Cheers

Andrew

They are modern c 2003. and yes you are right "Old ones worth more in original condition ".

Adam9453":3amnn0ey said:
Use multi tool from the back and carefully cut the battens away from the carcass, then remove front piece in one

Many thanks for the tip, but I don't really want to use the multi tool or chisel to cut out the battens. I was wondering if there was some way for the glue to become "unstuck", that that the right word then the glue could be cleaned off, be it scrapped or sanded and then the speaker board can be screwed in place as per the service manuals. I would also say that the board has some glue on its edges, so this too could also stuck to the cabinet. I don't really want to risk any damage to the cabinet with cutting/chiselling out and having to replace say the board or a cabinet side especially give that one of the cabinets is made from MDF, which I would imagine would flake.

Back