Bandsaw Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy1968

Reaction score
I have a record power bs250 that i use to cut planks for model boats , The machine does all i need it to do but my question is where would you guys go for the best quality blades ? I cut mainly along the grain and generally hardwood so a second question would be what sort of blade ?
Thank you for your time
Andy (homer)

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum.

We all know the answer to that question :D

Speak to Ian at Tuffsaws!

Cheers Robin

phil.p":10nden53 said:
+1 http://www.tuffsaws.co.uk get more than one, so when you do blunt one or have an "accident" you've got a spare. I was glad of doing this when I totally screwed a new one up within two minutes of fitting it. :oops:
Never actually ruined one but in my very early days did manage to fit one with the teeth pointing upwards :oops:

what tpi would you choose for hardwood cutting along the grain , Timber would be maybe an inch thick

Ian from Tuff Saws will tell you need at least three teeth in the timber, so a 3tpi blade will cut 1" or thicker stock.

Who am I to argue with Ian, but personally I've found I could cut a bit thinner stock than 1" with a 3 tpi blade without the cut quality becoming too rough and ragged. However, I see your primary use is cutting planks for model boats, so presumably you cut quite a lot of fairly thin stock. Ian might suggest a 6 tpi blade, personally I'd be tempted to go for a 4 tpi blade which gives you the option of also cutting thicker material at a reasonable speed.

I don't want to overly complicate things, but a vari-tooth blade is another option and that's much more versatile in terms of the thickness of material it can deal with. So a vari-tooth with say 4 tpi and 8 tpi sections would give you huge flexibility in stock thickness.

Thanks for the replies all , They really are much appreciated and ive messaged tuffsaws asking for there advice as recommended . It seems to be a bit of a minefield out there regarding blades because everybody has there favourite supplier and there seems to be endless suppliers all saying the same thing and thats our blades are superior quality etc

You will be pleases if you have Tuffsaw blades Andy. REcomendatins from this site all say the same thing, whereas the makers of blades usually say they are the best as a marketing tool. Ian Black backs up his blades and if you ever get one that breaks at the weld, he will replace it. He is sometimes difficult to get hold of on the phone, but worth a chat if you can.

Malcolm

If you're cutting planks for model boats I'm guessing you may need a couple of different blades? Are the final cuts made with a knife or do you use the bandsaw?

Just a thought or two:

I have a small bandsaw. I buy my blades from Tuffsaws (wouldn't go anywhere else now). I use it for all sorts of things and, looking back, it should have been my first machine purchase. It's so versatile and relatively safe compared to a table saw, and I can get really good results with it. It's the 'one record' I would save from the waves on my desert island!

Blades need a bit of thought and planning though. The big 'extra' with a bandsaw is the ability to cut curves well: slowly, cleanly, fairly quietly and safely. A different blade is needed for tight turns, and you need strong dust extraction, as the dust doesn't clear as well as with rip cutting (generalization), because the teeth are smaller.

But I'm often tempted to cut curves, particularly discs and drum shapes, using bigger blades. This works, as you can 'nibble' away at the cut, BUT it has a bad effect on the blade: cut a circle that way, and the teeth set on one side will inevitably wear more than the teeth on the other. If you do cut circles or curves, you'll find you naturally want to do it with the centre of the curve on the same side each time - usually the side away from the spine of the saw.

Cut twenty thick circles in plywood, chipboard, MDF or hard hardwood, and the blade will 'get used to it'. It will still cut well, but if you then want to go back to cutting, say, veneers, you might have a torrid time, as it will no longer cut straight, no matter what you do to the fence or the guides or the tension or the tracking.

Several people on here have made jigs for resharpening blades with Dremel-type tools. I haven't tried it yet, but you'd need to do something like that (and pretty well, too) if you want to go back to clean straight cuts again with that blade.

I've tried with a worn blade off the saw - I can't feel the difference between the teeth on the two sides with a fingertip, but I can't make it track straight no matter what I do. I've looked with a magnifying glass, but can't really see it either. So I'm reduced to labelling blades - new sharp ones for straight cuts, and older ones for curves.

There are far too many variables for me to give you a recipe of use that will casue this, but bear in mind that it happens.

Tuffsaws will sell you excellent blades, and they are particularly good because they can be thin kerf, meaning you make less sawdust and waste less wood, but unless there's an overarching reason otherwise, keep the "big" rip-sawing blades for just that job.

I don't believe there's such a thing as a general purpose bandsaw blade. It's true that middling-sized blades will do a range of tasks, but once you've done a big session of curve cutting in tough or thick stock, that's all that blade will do well in future, unless you resharpen it.

E.

PS: I learned about bandsaw geometry and setup from Steve Maskery's bandsaw DVDs. Really helpful, and a recommendation if you have Christmas money left to spend and want the things demystified! Disclaimer: Steve's a friend, but I hadn't met him when I bought the DVDs years ago!

PPS: Personally I think there is a world of difference between setting up the BS350 (and SIP) type of machine, and the cast frame ones the Americans often have.

The latter are really very rigid, to the extent you can ignore a lot of the checks you need to do every time with a steel box-frame design. As you tension the small box-frame ones, they bend appreciably, changing the alignment and the geometry. To get good results consistently, you have to pay more attention to alignment and adjustment each time you change the setup. It's a rarely-mentioned nuisance with small Chinese bandsaws.

So check settings for each cutting task, especially guide blocks/rollers, and especially when you raise or lower the top guides (as you may need to move both sets of side ones sideways). If you use a zero-clearance throat insert, you may need to make a set of those too, for the same reason, as the blade will move sideways WRT the table as the tension changes.

Eric The Viking":1bihggx8 said:
Just a thought or two:

I have a small bandsaw. I buy my blades from Tuffsaws (wouldn't go anywhere else now). I use it for all sorts of things and, looking back, it should have been my first machine purchase. It's so versatile and relatively safe compared to a table saw, and I can get really good results with it. It's the 'one record' I would save from the waves on my desert island!

Blades need a bit of thought and planning though. The big 'extra' with a bandsaw is the ability to cut curves well: slowly, cleanly, fairly quietly and safely. A different blade is needed for tight turns, and you need strong dust extraction, as the dust doesn't clear as well as with rip cutting (generalization), because the teeth are smaller.

But I'm often tempted to cut curves, particularly discs and drum shapes, using bigger blades. This works, as you can 'nibble' away at the cut, BUT it has a bad effect on the blade: cut a circle that way, and the teeth set on one side will inevitably wear more than the teeth on the other. If you do cut circles or curves, you'll find you naturally want to do it with the centre of the curve on the same side each time - usually the side away from the spine of the saw.

Cut twenty thick circles in plywood, chipboard, MDF or hard hardwood, and the blade will 'get used to it'. It will still cut well, but if you then want to go back to cutting, say, veneers, you might have a torrid time, as it will no longer cut straight, no matter what you do to the fence or the guides or the tension or the tracking.

Several people on here have made jigs for resharpening blades with Dremel-type tools. I haven't tried it yet, but you'd need to do something like that (and pretty well, too) if you want to go back to clean straight cuts again with that blade.

I've tried with a worn blade off the saw - I can't feel the difference between the teeth on the two sides with a fingertip, but I can't make it track straight no matter what I do. I've looked with a magnifying glass, but can't really see it either. So I'm reduced to labelling blades - new sharp ones for straight cuts, and older ones for curves.

There are far too many variables for me to give you a recipe of use that will casue this, but bear in mind that it happens.

Tuffsaws will sell you excellent blades, and they are particularly good because they can be thin kerf, meaning you make less sawdust and waste less wood, but unless there's an overarching reason otherwise, keep the "big" rip-sawing blades for just that job.

I don't believe there's such a thing as a general purpose bandsaw blade. It's true that middling-sized blades will do a range of tasks, but once you've done a big session of curve cutting in tough or thick stock, that's all that blade will do well in future, unless you resharpen it.

E.

PS: I learned about bandsaw geometry and setup from Steve Maskery's bandsaw DVDs. Really helpful, and a recommendation if you have Christmas money left to spend and want the things demystified! Disclaimer: Steve's a friend, but I hadn't met him when I bought the DVDs years ago!

PPS: Personally I think there is a world of difference between setting up the BS350 (and SIP) type of machine, and the cast frame ones the Americans often have.

The latter are really very rigid, to the extent you can ignore a lot of the checks you need to do every time with a steel box-frame design. As you tension the small box-frame ones, they bend appreciably, changing the alignment and the geometry. To get good results consistently, you have to pay more attention to alignment and adjustment each time you change the setup. It's a rarely-mentioned nuisance with small Chinese bandsaws.

So check settings for each cutting task, especially guide blocks/rollers, and especially when you raise or lower the top guides (as you may need to move both sets of side ones sideways). If you use a zero-clearance throat insert, you may need to make a set of those too, for the same reason, as the blade will move sideways WRT the table as the tension changes.

Eric That is a very good post, a lot of sense
Regards
Timber

Back