Hand Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenose

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is a market for a Stanley No 7 hand plane. It also has the word 'Bailey' cast in the base.

Also does anyone know what it might possibly be worth please.

I could probably post up a piccy if it would be of any help.

Thank you.

This should help;

http://virginiatoolworks.com/tools/stan ... ification/

Basically, anything with a low knob will be around £60 upwards depending on condition and type. Most other types such as 'Made in England' units generally fetch less. That said if you auction it, all depends on what people are prepared to pay for it. The US models can fit into either camp in my experience and mostly depends on condition.

Make sure the plane matches it's relevant type identification, it's rare but people put low knobs on older planes and vice versa.

Check for hairline cracks or modifications made to the sole (particularly around the mouth) as this will reduce the cost whatever it is quite significantly.

Thanks folks for the help and guidance with this. It's much appreciated.
It would be nice if I can eventually sell these items to someone who will appreciate and use them.
The problem seems to be arriving at what would be considered a fair price for each item.

The Henry Disston saw is a D8 with a very nice script message that says "For Beauty Finish and Utility this saw cannot be Excelled" The blade is 24inches long.
I was wondering if this saw might be worth around £35.00

The Spear & Jackson tenon saw is a number 26 and is 14 inches long

The handles on the Stanley No 7 plane are wooden and the plane is 22 inches long.

I hope that you can see the piccy's OK

Plane_1.jpg

Plane_2.jpg

Plane_3.jpg

Saw_1.jpg

Saw_2.jpg

Attachments

• Plane_1.jpg
    Plane_1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Plane_2.jpg
    Plane_2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Plane_3.jpg
    Plane_3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Saw_1.jpg
    Saw_1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Saw_2.jpg
    Saw_2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,161
My Stanley Number 7 is similar to yours; quite old but in good condition
I bought it on ebay in 2015; paid £21 including post and packing

Used this morning btw to joint a piece of MDF :lol:

It must cost £21 to post a No 7!
Both saws are very decent but a lot depends on condition. Your No.7 has the older type blade, so providing the blade has not been swapped it could date from the '50's or before. It has to be worth more than £21 even without the postage.

MIGNAL":3784yyck said:
It must cost £21 to post a No 7!
Both saws are very decent but a lot depends on condition. Your No.7 has the older type blade, so providing the blade has not been swapped it could date from the '50's or before. It has to be worth more than £21 even without the postage.
I think that there is a good chance that you are correct regarding the dating of the plane.

Back