lathes bearings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunhageman

Reaction score
Hi to every one I am new here so not sure how this works , I have just got a draper wtl12 lathe know its an oldie but all there and was given to me works great , but the chuck bearings seem a little noisy I would like to replace them but can not see the bearing size or make , I have emailed draper waiting reply , would any one by any chance know the correct bearings to order ,
many thanks
shaun

If you take the bearing out you'll be able to measure it and then identify it.

Like said above take the bearings out and look at the inner or outer race there should be a number followed by one or two letters that will be the what you will need to give to the supplier. better still take them to your local bearing supplier and they will match them up

Dalboy":e6opd7y8 said:
Like said above take the bearings out and look at the inner or outer race there should be a number followed by one or two letters that will be the what you will need to give to the supplier. better still take them to your local bearing supplier and they will match them up

now that's a workshop

All good advice but be aware that an awful lot of bearings are supplied on price rather than quality.
I use an on line supplier, Simply Bearings, and when you enter the type and dimension of bearing they usually give you a choice of several qualities starting with "throw away" bearings for applications where they will not be maintained and will be subject to harsh running condition and progressing to named quality manufacturers.
Simply Bearings are also very helpful on the phone.
Disclaimer - no connection with them other than as a very satisfied customer.

And a local place can be very expensive. When I wanted bearings for my drill then only stocked the top brand which was 3x the price of an imported one.

I know nothing about these Draper WTL 12 lathes, and could not find anything about them, all other model's but.
I have discovered that they are similar too, or the the same as the Clarke CWL 12D. I've posted a link to the user manual, there's an exploded drawing and parts list, at the bottom number 32 is the bearing listed that you may be interested in, as mentioned get the better bearing, A 2rs or whatever is recommended to keep dust out..
There are also some helpful turning suggestions for wood and plastic that may prove useful for users too.
HTH Regards Rodders

http://www.clarkeservice.co.uk/manuals/ ... cwl12d.pdf

Back