Are these any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalejones

Established Member
Reaction score
They are on eBay for £22 they look good just wanted to see what you guys thought? Worth buying? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 190
They're unlikely to be super accurate, the grade of TC won't be out of the very top drawer, it's unlikely they'll be honed to the degree that for example Wealden's achieve, and I'd be astonished if there was enough meat on the TC to withstand more than one or two re-sharpenings.

But having said that, for knocking out the odd panelled door what have you got to lose?

They'll probably do a cleaner job than you could achieve with hand tools unless you've practised a fair bit and have the knowledge and commitment to bring your hand tools up to tip top performance. So why not give them a whirl and then, if you decide that you want to make more than one kitchen's worth of shaker style cupboards, invest in something better!

Good luck!

Yep, for £22 I wouldn't expect much. They'll probably work well but lose their edge quite quickly depending on what material you are using. I have a set but not used them yet, mine are Yonico, not the really cheap ones from China but they look the same so are probably the same thing. I have plans for 11 doors but if they get me through the first three I'll not be dissappointed for £22.

mseries":p0o2xxi1 said:
Yep, for £22 I wouldn't expect much. They'll probably work well but lose their edge quite quickly depending on what material you are using. I have a set but not used them yet, mine are Yonico, not the really cheap ones from China but they look the same so are probably the same thing. I have plans for 11 doors but if they get me through the first three I'll not be dissappointed for £22.

You should get 11 doors out of them, maybe the cut will get a bit ragged but they probably won't be smoking by the end! I get sniffy about cheap router cutters, but when I've had to use them I generally find they're not terrible. Just they don't deliver more than 30 or 40 metres of cut length before they need binning, where as a top grade cutter will give hundreds of metres and can then be re-sharpened and give hundreds more.

That's my view too, they don't have to last forever for me, just do the three jobs I have lined up for them. NB I tallied up wrong, it's 14 doors.

Balance the cost against the expected use. I bought a set of small ones for £4 - I needed one cutter for a piece of moulding 12" long. It was fine. I bought a core box from Wealden that's first outing was 96 metres of groove 1/2" deep. Different kettle of fish.

Back