Solar panels going on tomorrow.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They aren't actually free? are they? I thought they give you loan for the amount and the repayment is done from the money earned while you have the solar panels on?

sitefive":1c08sfls said:
They aren't actually free? are they? I thought they give you loan for the amount and the repayment is done from the money earned while you have the solar panels on?

Not on my deal, the contract describes me as the Landlord and the company as the tenant. They are renting my roof and gather the profit from the electricity that's put into the grid by my panels. To satisfy the legality of the contract I am able to claim a peppercorn rent if I choose. The benefit to me is that while it's daylight I get free electricity, once it's dark I revert to using electricity from the grid. Washing machine, dishwasher, dryer, ironing etc will all now be done during daylight hours. It also means that all the electrical items that are left on standby during the day are not wasting electricity. Weekend workshop time is free too!!

Maybe we will have to invest in electric heaters for the house for weekends too instead of having the heating on during the day when it's cold.

be careful of a few things (my parents have just had them installed). Obviously, i don't know the details of your contract etc. They purchased theirs, so may be some differences.

my parents get free electricity during the daylight, but only as much as they are generating at the time. so if it is a dull day, you don't get much free at all.
check that the expected output is similar to the actual- they have only had them a few months, but it seems to be falling somewhat short of the estimates, ad therefore viability.
to maximise your use of the free resource, plan your activity. for example be careful that boiling the kettle whilst the washing machine is on doesn't tip you into the grid.
when they first got it, one part was wired incorrectly. they now have it that any surplus heats the water tank, but initially if there wasn't enough to do so, the grid took over, thus heating water for the sake of it. When the electrician came back from the installation company, he knew exactly what was wrong, suggesting that it wasn't uncommon. the moral is to check that it works as you feel that it should.

what happens once the government stop paying a subsidy and they take the panels away who pays to fix the roof?

marcros":zrq1lusz said:
be careful of a few things (my parents have just had them installed). Obviously, i don't know the details of your contract etc. They purchased theirs, so may be some differences.

my parents get free electricity during the daylight, but only as much as they are generating at the time. so if it is a dull day, you don't get much free at all.
check that the expected output is similar to the actual- they have only had them a few months, but it seems to be falling somewhat short of the estimates, ad therefore viability.
to maximise your use of the free resource, plan your activity. for example be careful that boiling the kettle whilst the washing machine is on doesn't tip you into the grid.
when they first got it, one part was wired incorrectly. they now have it that any surplus heats the water tank, but initially if there wasn't enough to do so, the grid took over, thus heating water for the sake of it. When the electrician came back from the installation company, he knew exactly what was wrong, suggesting that it wasn't uncommon. the moral is to check that it works as you feel that it should.

They haven't given us an expected output. Your parents have bought the panels and so I imagine that they would want performance guarantees. I haven't paid a penny but will get a reduced bill for the next 25 years. At the end of that period, unless I request that they are removed they become my property.

That's assuming I'm still alive and everything has gone as planned and as promised. Unlikely I imagine, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Wildman":a34gjmzt said:
what happens once the government stop paying a subsidy and they take the panels away who pays to fix the roof?

The cut off point is in January. If you have the panels done before then you get the subsidy....or the company do. The subsidy (payment to the company) still continues on newer installs but at a much reduced rate which will probably mean that it's not viable for companies to fit them for nothing at all. I imagine deals will spring up with a payment plan that equates with supposed guaranteed savings with the panels ultimately becoming yours in 10 years or so..

One of my main concerns was that the roof structure was not going to be damaged, and that the roof (which is currently in good nick) remains weather tight etc. The panels are completely the responsibility of the company, and any problems from wind damage, to vandal damage, to failure will be covered by them completely free of charge to me. I have asked the question, 'what happens if the company ceases to exist?' No one has been able to answer that, other than it wont happen because the payment to the company is continuous from the Government. We'll see.

It's cost me nowt, and if the worst came to the worst and they were removed I have the facilities and contacts to put the roof right at minimal cost.

What is the position of "Landlord/Tenant" should you wish to sell the property? The new buyers may not want the solar panels, are you in a position to ask the installers to remove them?

John

I've got panels through the same company. As you say, completely free, my bills have gone down a good bit, and I can feel good about doing my bit for the environment.

Installation was quick and easy, they did a good job and I have no complaints.

We did have a few concerns but discussed them and decided the benefits outweigh the risks (to be honest if the company goes bust for example, the panels sitting up there and generating payments are a far bigger asset than used solar panels would be after the liquidators pay to remove them!)

Roxie":3ngcp3hn said:
What is the position of "Landlord/Tenant" should you wish to sell the property? The new buyers may not want the solar panels, are you in a position to ask the installers to remove them?

John
The new owner has to take over the landlord position. The contract is for 25 years so we can't ask for them to be removed. I would imagine that they will be a plus point when selling unless there's a storm of bad press over them for some reason. We considered all of this before signing and we decided well before we considered the panels, that we intend to stay in this house for good now .

Mike Bremner":3scbb17t said:
I've got panels through the same company. As you say, completely free, my bills have gone down a good bit, and I can feel good about doing my bit for the environment.

Installation was quick and easy, they did a good job and I have no complaints.

We did have a few concerns but discussed them and decided the benefits outweigh the risks (to be honest if the company goes bust for example, the panels sitting up there and generating payments are a far bigger asset than used solar panels would be after the liquidators pay to remove them!)

Correct, thanks for the input Mike,

I looked into a similar scheme a couple of years ago but decided against it.
Cannot remember all the pitfalls but one was it could have serious consequences if you try to sell your property as the agreement was with yourself and not the house?
They also look awful and could also put buyers off?

Rod

Harbo":15500khl said:
I looked into a similar scheme a couple of years ago but decided against it.
Cannot remember all the pitfalls but one was it could have serious consequences if you try to sell your property as the agreement was with yourself and not the house?
They also look awful and could also put buyers off?

Rod
The agreement would be signed over by the solicitor when doing the paperwork for the sale. If you were responsible for them after the move there would be people all over the country going to court over issues with previous owners. As I've said previously, we're staying here so the selling issue isn't something we're bothered about. There are lots on the estate so we won't look out of the ordinary. They're being fitted as I type.

phil.p":2icl76l0 said:
If you're staying put it doesn't matter, but I have a friend who's an estate agent and he said properties with panels are a nightmare to sell - not because of any problems per se, but they they put buyers off.
How interesting, - don't put me off at all so maybe I can get a bargain?! We are looking to downsize soon(ish).

Interesting. Our neighbours have these panels on the south facing end roof of their house. It is an oast house and the panels look hideous aesthetically. However, we can only see them when we go round as there is a massive hedge between us and them ;-). Around this area there are quite a few fields full of solar panels now. Seems much easier to fix them in open spaces on the ground, rather than up on the roof, though the opportunity loss of the land has to be factored in.

Wouldn't put me off either as long as they didn't look hideous. What's to be put off by having cheaper fuel bills? I don't understand the reticence. I can understand prospective buyers doing careful due diligence to avoid any contractual pitfalls but it sounds like you've covered all that so....brilliant. Sounds like a result to me.

phil.p":1hi1kbv0 said:
If you're staying put it doesn't matter, but I have a friend who's an estate agent and he said properties with panels are a nightmare to sell - not because of any problems per se, but they they put buyers off.

Interesting feedback. Thanks Phil.

Hi just been on there Web site and it states they lease the air above your roof not your roof and the cot race is with your house and not you they also say if you want put in attic roof they will unintelligible and the reinstate after work is complete and they don't that twice in 25 years
Sounds good .
Did you need planning permission as our conciliation say we would need it to have panels on our bungalow .
Pip

is there a problem with predictive text or something on your post pip, because it hardly makes any sense at all :)

Back