Burgess BK3 Mk2 disc sander info required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunghouk

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just recently started taking an interest is woodworking and recently purchased a well used Burgess BK3 Mk2 with all it's unused additional attachments. I've discovered that there was also a disc sanding attachment for this machine but exact details are non-existant and photos of it are sparse online.

I was hoping that someone, somewhere could provide me with installation details or perhaps just photos of the original mod kit so that I could make an equivalent fitting for my saw. I believe it's pretty much a disc that attaches to the rear of the motor shaft but I can't see how exactly after removing the dust cover on the rear of the machine.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Neil

Part no. 580800 is the disc sanding attachment. I can't even find a picture of it. :-(

Interesting question. I've wondered the same but never done anything about it.

I've scanned and shared the manual - see https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post699960.html#p699960
but it says almost nothing about it except that the table is tiltable and that the disc is 7" diameter and attaches to the back of the motor. I have had another look at mine and the only other thing I can add is that the hole in the back of the motor shaft is tapped M6, so at least you won't need special fasteners to connect a home made disc.

Do share pictures if you make something up - there are a few Burgess users on here.

Ah ha so there is an M6 female thread in the dark recess of the shaft's rear.

Simples......(famous last words)

:wink:

Seems a reasonably flat wooden disc, with a glued-on velcro pad, bolted to a long m6 bolt or length of M6 stud shoud do the trick for the disc at least. I believe the original disc was 8" diameter.....hmm.....

Smell the wood burnin' ?

I decided to go with 125mm dia to suit the sanding pads I have already.

I used the Burgess circle cutting attachment and some 3/4" ply that was lying around though I'm sure 1/4" or 3/8" would have been adequate.

Three nuts (nyloc, normal, nyloc) and a 6mm penny washer provide spacing and locking behind the disc. I slightly counterbored the outside with a forstner bit and used a longish hex panhead bolt and standard washer on the outside.

The hex head should allow easy removal from the shaft in future if required.

Now just to contact glue some plain velco sheet to the front et voila !

Thanks for the info guys, particularly the 6mm thread info.

The wood has stopped burning but has left a pleasant smell. :wink:

Cheers

Neil

Attachments

• 20151217_1.jpg
    20151217_1.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20151217_2.jpg
    20151217_2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20151217_3.jpg
    20151217_3.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 57
gunghouk":bzj2lgu2 said:
Think I may try some kind of rest or table for the sanding disc next :)

I think you will find that there are two holes in the base which are just ideal for mounting one!

If I was making one, I wouldn't bother with the tilt adjustment. Ask yourself how often you ever have the saw table set to anything other than 90°.
If you did ever want to sand something at another angle you could make up a tilting block to suit.

Back