Bandsaw just stopped

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
my BS 400 has been faultless since I had it almost two years ago. I was using it this morning and between that and sanding boxes, when I went back to it about 11am, .....nothing. Checked the fuses, cleaned the door switches but the switch on button just does nothing, not even any slight resistance to start as usual. .???

Will call Record this afternoon to see if they have any ideas. Anyone had anything similar happen?

Alex

Hi Alex.
Yes as Jim says check the NVR switch for sawdust i have had this a few times on mine but did have to replace the NVR earlier this year,but was lucky as i took the switch off my cream crackered extractor and the switch fitted the bandsaw.

Thanks Guys, I thought it may have been the switch and having now spoken with the very helpful Richard, he confirms that from my discription, that is the case. Another new one on the way to me FOC.

I mentioned the other problem with the very old Record RSSS16D scrollsaw and that the clamp has lost its clamping and another one is on the way, without charge, even though I offered to pay. What a fantastic compant Record are and backs up what most people say about them when they have problems.

I'm now held up a bit, but have been out doing some more Tru-Oiling of a couple of boxes almost ready. A couple of very useful items I have found as freebies, the deisl gloves at garages are ideal when painting or oiling and the coffee stirers from Cota are ideal for glue spreading and wedging. Think I'll get myself some more for Christmas.

Alex

On my fox crapomatic I had three door switches fail in the first 2 months. In the end my patience was exhausted so i by passed them. Fortunately I have such good eyesight that I can determined if the door is open of closed visually. Please note. On the crapomatic the switches are live even when the no volts switch is off. It might not be so with your record but I would check if I were you as it can hurt if you get caught unexpectedly.

Cheers woodfarmer,

There was not the usual 'feel' to the NVR switch and that iswhat they say usually happens. It was actually as clean as new when opened up. Soon see when it arrives.
Alex

Switches are pain.

The fan on my car stopped working a week or to ago. It's the 0-1-2-3-4 switch that is the problem. It's such a poor design inside, just a couple of copper tracks with a bit of bent copper dragged across them. They get corroded, then hot, then the plastic around it all breaks because it is fried and it all falls apart. The using is basically an empty plastic box with three knobs on the front and a few connectors at the back. A replacement part is over £200. So when it went a couple of years ago I bought a S/H replacement, ut actually, when I got it home, it wasn't much better than my dead one. At least I could dismantle it and clean all the contacts before installing it.

So this time I knew what the problem was, and knew how futile trying to replace it would be. So Yesterday I took the unit out with a view to bypassing the switch altogether. I've finished the job this morning. I've simply soldered two wires to the tracks and brought them out to the front through the hole that used to have the control knob in it. A chocbloc connector for now, but a toggle switch on order. It's permanently on at the mo, but at least I won't be freezing and the windscreen will be clear.

Whilst I was at it, I cleaned the car inside and out, I can't remember the last time I did that, it was in a revolting state. I'd feel ashamed if a gave a hoot.
:)

You have tried something else, known to be good, in the power socket, to rule out building electrical problems?

Just a thought.

Bod

If the switch turns out not to be the problem it could be a blown capacitor; a problem I have encountered with my Felder B/S.

Jim

Ahh yes. I checked the fuse and a light worked on it. When my bandsaw is on, the work light is also on and that was still working. Even a swift kick did nothing.

Alex

Alexam":1wxmj05n said:
Bod":1wxmj05n said:
You have tried something else, known to be good, in the power socket, to rule out building electrical problems?

Just a thought.

Bod

What's that?

I'm told by whose that know, a thought, is the result of thinking, it may or may not hurt. I avoid pain at all costs.

Bod

Back