Lidl Quick Release Bar clamps- Avoid.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitefive

Established Member
Reaction score
They have them this week, pair of 30cm bar clamps for £5.99 , they actually feel really solid and nicely built , but they are damn useless as there's almost no clamping pressure to them at all due to the badly designed mechanism and really huge step when squeezing them.
Bought 2 sets, total waste of $

Thanks for the warning, I had planned to get some but haven't got around to it yet.

i had the clamps from aldi that looked the same, broke first time i used them, unusual for lidl or aldi to sell something that poor quality

There is a weak spot on these.
Anyone with half a brain can suss it out and fix it with an m4 nut and bolt.

I have about 15 of these and they work fine.
True they can't be used for crushing badly made parts together but they are fine for general glue ups

My aldi ones were ok tbh. Popped one out of about 6 doing the first bench glue up. But as lurker says it's at that particular weak spot. Saw the lidle ones the other day and didn't go for them personally.
I did get some 4"grinder wheels. 4 diamond blades and 10 metal cutting blades for £7. Christ knows what they're like, at that price it's worth a punt. Also got a wire brush fitting to clean up the old wood burner and some sanding disks. Fit the grinder and your drill.

Caveat Emptor. I've had more good than bad from them tbh. Would I buy a pillar drill there? Probably not.

Bm101":1rpc84fu said:
My aldi ones were ok tbh. Popped one out of about 6 doing the first bench glue up. But as lurker says it's at that particular weak spot. Saw the lidle ones the other day and didn't go for them personally.
I did get some 4"grinder wheels. 4 diamond blades and 10 metal cutting blades for £7. Christ knows what they're like, at that price it's worth a punt. Also got a wire brush fitting to clean up the old wood burner and some sanding disks. Fit the grinder and your drill.

Caveat Emptor. I've had more good than bad from them tbh. Would I buy a pillar drill there? Probably not.

Exactly!
When you buy anything from anyone you need to go in with your eyes open.
These clamps are at least a quarter of the price of high quality ones ( I own some of these too) and have a role to perform in my workshop.
I can't think of anything I have bought from aldi or lidl that was not good value. There are a few things I wouldn't buy again but many others that are so good we buy all the time.
Lidl Kangaroo steak for tea......... I will let you know what it's like later. :lol: :lol:

I bought some an put a bolt and nut through and they are plenty solid for my projects, they were cheap and cheerful compared to the expensive stuff available......I bought one of the expensive ones secondhand at a carboot and it broke in exactly the same spot so had to fit a nut and bolt in that to sort it.
Plastics never going to be as tough as steel but for lightweight work they are fine.

Only reason I go to sainsburys now is for coffee. Lavazza prima gusta. Can't get that at LidAldis. Alas. Kangaroo, water buffalo. Top shout. Aldi rib eye steak is the best steak I've bought from a supermarket by 2 country miles. Never had a bad one. Also the salmon wellington. Next week I'll be buying a leg of parma ham. best thing about christmas.

Costco steak is better, but the difference in quality isn't worth the extra cost in petrol.

Anyway I have a couple of the aldi clamps, among others, clamping a new top on to my TV stand. The other brands are irwin and dekton. I had two of each and they're all the same quick release style.

One of the aldi clamps is struggling to maintain pressure. I'm not sure if I'd buy them again to be honest but I'd definitely pick them over the dekton ones which clamp tight enough but the cheap trigger snapped on one of them as I was squeezing it.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

well obviously for the price - £3 each for a 30cm clamp They are OK! But I would not pay more for them because they just dont have the holding power. I have seen some of the cheap irwin clamps in shop the ones which cost like £8 for a 30cm one and in build quality and overall feel these lidl ones looks miles better, However they probably don't have even 1/5 of the clamping power you get from the £15 Irwin extreme pressure ones which are just awesome.

well I hope they have some left they do me a treat only picked up one set at the time.

lurker":3r7p7cqw said:
I cannot understand why "extreme pressure" is needed.

well it's a bit like, say you have a pair of speakers, one has a volume control which goes to 10, and the other goes to 11........... which one is best............. now do you see?

Nop its nothing like that, pretty much any regular quick clamps has pressure of 70-80kg (those lidl ones doesn't even have that) and those extreme ones I think got 280kg , once you try them you will be converted within a minute

sitefive":sbpeo1kw said:
Nop its nothing like that, pretty much any regular quick clamps has pressure of 70-80kg (those lidl ones doesn't even have that) and those extreme ones I think got 280kg , once you try them you will be converted within a minute

Honestly mate, 11 is bigger than 10, so it's got to be better.

lurker":1prcyljz said:

For those of us without half a brain, I should be most grateful if you would kindly explain or post a photograph showing how to fix the weak spot with a M4 nut and bolt, please

MCB

MCB":2pufmada said:
lurker":2pufmada said:

For those of us without half a brain, I should be most grateful if you would kindly explain or post a photograph showing how to fix the weak spot with a M4 nut and bolt, please

MCB

I'd be interested too.

Back