Elektra Beckum 315 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badabec

Reaction score
Hello, apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I have just watched the Carter 'Setting up your band saw' video. No wonder I was having trouble.

Question: has anyone any experience of the Carter Stabilizer? Is there a UK version? Worth importing?

Thanks for any help.

Hi badabec,
Yes, I have one and it works very well. I swap over from whichever guides I need to use according to the blade size and regularly use a 1/8" blade. I understand that others also have them and one member has very skillfully made one for himself and it's a beauty.

The importing may be a problem as the Stabilizer is not a 'fit all' design and you need to establish which of the many models you need for your particular saw. Not cheap, but if you need it ....?

What sort of work do you use your bandsaw for?

Alex

Hello, I've only just moved into making sawdust, I usually mangle metal, turning brass into very expensive swarf (clocks). I've been making band saw boxes, nothing too taxing yet. Some cuckoo clock cases and an English Dial clock case are on the agenda.
I got my saw ridiculously cheap so I was going to invest in the Bedford Saw Company complete guide system. The Carter gizmo seemed a useful addition.
I also ought to buy some decent clamps so maybe they will come first.
I was impressed with the Carter guy, although the way he whizzed around making a reindeer I was surprised he could still count to ten on his fingers.

Peter

If I may suggest, make sure you have a well tuned bandsaw and really NEED a blade guide that will allow you to use a blade down to 1/8", as I managed with a 1/4" blade for some time before going for the Carter Stabilizer. The overall cost is around £100 for the guide with shipping and tax. What blades do you use at present and are they Tuffsaw blades?

It would be good if you could download pictures of your work on the forum.

Alex

I fitted the Bedford guide system to my 316 and it is a vast improvement on the original guides - for stability and ease of setting.

I agree with Alex re tuning your amchine and using Tuffsaw blades.

Dave

Unfortunately (?) I bought several blades from Hamilton Beverstock. Should I put them in the spares department?
I only do simple stuff at the moment

I like having the best tools for the job, they go some way to make up for my lack of ability. I can't blame the tools! I doubt if I need the Carter gizmo but it has been added to my list of top 10 things to buy at about number 42.

Thanks for the advice and feedback on the Bedford system

Peter

Vey nice Peter.

The general opinion of thosew with bandsaws, is that the best blade maker around is Ian Black of Tuffsaw.Co. Everyone who gets their blades has noticed a definate improvement and he knows most bandsaws and can offer advice on the best for you. I would think that you ought to try his 1/4" blade before rushing to but a Cartyer Stabilizer that you may not benefit from and unless you intend making lots of 'whwtever' that requires tight turns, then you would be wasting your money.

Alex

Back